High end gaming rig

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Neco_Coneco

High end gaming rig

Post by Neco_Coneco » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:42 pm

Hi all, I plan on building a nice gaming rig the problem is I want it very quite and have no clue about what parts to buy. I know it is a big pain in the ass but if anyone would be kind enough to list all the parts I should buy from the case to the cpu. If that is too much any help would be welcome. Thank you.

BTW: I know I want P4 3.0 ghz or athalon competitive, 80 gig hard drive, dvdr and dvd drive plus Radeon 9800 or Nvidia competitive. Thanks for all your help :)

I plan to buy from NewEgg they seem to have good prices. :?:

Straker

Post by Straker » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:21 pm

an athlon 64, 9800 (an x800 pro will actually use less/same power if you're interested/can afford it) and samsung (or used seagate barracuda) hd will generally be the lower power/heat and quieter of the options...

just spend like 10 hours reading articles and stuff, i mean there are recommended lists of everything linked to from the front page

scara

Post by scara » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:10 am

WARNING: This is all off the top of my head so some parts may be wrong!

Case: Any of the recommended here will be great. Antec 3700BQE is a decent flavour for out-of-the-box quietness.
CPU: Athlon64 are far better than P4 for gaming and alot cheaper. Probably best to go for a Socket 939 3200+.
HSF: Look at the recommended list. Whichever Zalman or ThermalRight (+quiet fan) for the socket will handle an A64 just fine.
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum or ASUS A8V Deluxe Wifi-g. Both good mobo's but the ASUS has a passive northbridge.
Graphics: 9800 pro are very cheap now, but is that 'high-end' enough for you? If not an x800 pro won't be quite as fast as an nVidia but it'll be cooler and thus easier to quieten.
Hard drive: see Straker's post above

All of this really depends on your budget. I would look at performance oriented hardware sites to get a general idea and then look at the recommended pages and search the forums here to see if those parts are any good. If they're not mentioned chances are they're not quiet.

Happy researching, Rich

Neco_Coneco

Post by Neco_Coneco » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:26 am

Thank you both :)

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:01 am

I have a similar post in the off-topic forum. One thing to watch out for is the video card. I recently played some Doom3 over a lan and was amazed how much power the game requires. We had a guy with a brand new Intel 3.2 system with an Nvidia 5900 that was only getting about 40fps on the timedemo at 1024x768. He had the quality on high but that's the first time I've seen a new rig not score in the 60's with a game, and I didn't think the 5900 was a weak card by any means. There was another guy with a 6800 card but he only had an old Intel 2 ghz cpu - don't remember his fps.

Also be aware that the latest tests show the Nvidia cards outperforming the ATI cards on the high resolutions. Does it mean they're better? Not really but it does mean they have a higher top end and probably a longer life. But, the Nividia cards are power hungry (two connections maybe?) and probably don't have many quiet cooling solutions.

My buddy went with an Intel system because he wanted PCI express. You currently can't get PCI express with the AMD64. Whether or not that is important for a game rig in the future is the subject of my post in the other forum.