Cheap and silent laptop

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bit

Cheap and silent laptop

Post by bit » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:27 am

The only thing I do on my computer is surfing, writing... that's it.

Must have:
15" good quality screen, desktop replacement.
Cool/noiseless
Not too old, I want it to run XP and future windows versions without trouble.
USB 2.0 or FW (external harddrive).
Internal WLAN wouldn't hurt.

So far I'm into acer/dell with pentium m but they're a bit too expensive. The main issue is the CPU, what to get? Is pentium m really that superior when it comes to heat (noise)?
I live in Sweden btw.
Any suggestions or thoughts?

stevea

Re: Cheap and silent laptop

Post by stevea » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:50 pm

bit wrote:The only thing I do on my computer is surfing, writing... that's it.

Must have:
15" good quality screen, desktop replacement.
Cool/noiseless
Not too old, I want it to run XP and future windows versions without trouble.
USB 2.0 or FW (external harddrive).
Internal WLAN wouldn't hurt.

So far I'm into acer/dell with pentium m but they're a bit too expensive. The main issue is the CPU, what to get? Is pentium m really that superior when it comes to heat (noise)?
I live in Sweden btw.
Any suggestions or thoughts?
I recently purchased an IBM T42 2378-FVU for about $1780Us. I am very impressed with the performance of the Pentium-M @ 1.7ghz (735 I think is the number). I am running both Linux and WinXPpro. Both have speedstep control available which reduces the clock rate to 600Mhz when idle. Under Linux I can see the battery drain rate as about:
17.1 watt (low lcd brightness @ 600Mhz
19.7 watt (bright lcd @ 600Mhz)
24.6 watt (bright lcd @ 1.7Ghz)
--
I have run benchmarks under both OS and usually the 1.7ghz pentium M is much faster than my 2.6Ghz P4 HT systems. It is only a little slower than a dual Xeon 3.2Ghz system I use at work. The Pentium-M *Dothan* is a GREAT processor for Silent PC.

My IBM has a 14.1" SVGA+ 1450x1050 display. The larger display (15.1") is available but uses significantly more power and costs a little more. 2 USB ports but no firewire on the IBM. weights abt 5.4lb (2.5kg).

==

For surfing & writing choose a Pentium-M laptop model with the Intel855GM chipset (integrated graphics). This removes the graphics power req and some cost.

-Steve

stevea

Post by stevea » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:53 pm

Ooops - more ...

It has internal wireless which works very well (very sensitive). Also 10/100/1000 ethernet, modelm & IRDA, (bluetooth is available).

-Steve