Speedfan question

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Speedfan question

Post by Trip » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:34 am

Using Speedfan, my temps are:

Temp 1: 36'C
Temp 2: 22
Temp 3: 61

Any idea of where Temp 3 might be? Power mosfet area or South Bridge maybe?

Orbit

Post by Orbit » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:18 am

dont panic, but it could be your CPU ;)

In summer my P4 2.4c with stock cooling was running mid 50's idle. And at a LAN it read as being 63°C idle.

Also, if you have an Abit motherboard, they use a different method of measuring CPU temperatures (so I've read), and thus they wont be consistent with measurements from other motherboards. Doesnt necessarily mean its running hotter, just reads higher than other mobo's.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:25 am

What board ya' got there, Trip?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:29 am

With my Asus P4R800-VM temp3 reports bogus. If I cold boot my machine and let it idle it reports high temps. When I start folding@home it goes down to -10°C.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:18 pm

I'm using SOYO "SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 V1.0" and the sensors are not working correctly.

BIOS is telling me one thing and Speedfan another. MBM5 went haywire...

I'm going to reinstall the heatsink (thermalright 947U* w/ Arctic Silver 5 and 92mm L1A @ 11V for safety - on a p4 2.8C**) - I suppose the paste could have been squeezed out. The Southbridge feels hot - pasting an extra heatsink on there couldn't hurt.

*I would have ordered one of the newer thermalrights had I not already had this one lying around.

**This is for my sister, and she insisted on an intel processor.

EDIT: Now that BellSouth DSL is working again, I've installed most of the lastest updates/drivers/etc. These P4s just zip right along!

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:35 pm

Trip, if you do plan on spending some money on a southbridge sink, I find the Microcool SouthSink to be quite good, and it's very, very easy to install, since it comes with thermal tape preapplied (for the purposes of cooling a southbridge, the fragtape is, "good enough"). It's passive, so it won't add any noise to the system, either.

Another good thing is that it's not awfully expensive; I got mine from Sidewinder for only $7 + shipping, along with some of their MOSFET ChipSinks, as I was seeing triple digits on my AN7's PWM componentry.

-Ed

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:28 am

Thanks, I'm going to order some of their chipsinks and use an extra Northbridge cooler I have for the Southbridge if the temps. don't drop.