Experience with Winchester versus Newcastle

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Experience with Winchester versus Newcastle

Post by hmsrolst » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:30 am

I'm thinking about trying an A64 3000+ setup, and was wondering if anybody had any direct experience yet with the 939 Winchester versus the 754 Newcastle. My interest, of course, relates to how cool they run, and the 939's potential to be quieter. I've read a few little blurbs here and there, but was looking for someone with direct experience to see if the price difference is worth it. Thanks.

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:06 am

I should be most interested to hear also - cannot seem to get a 939 socket 3000 here (or the 3400 which I am more interested in) although I have found a couple of stockists no one actually has any in stock... Seems the older Newcastles are all that we are getting over here for now.

You mention price differential - could you give me some idea? Having been unable to find any here I thought the price difference was not huge, meaning under 20%. But maybe I am wrong?

From what I have heard it is worth taking the Winchester - but I know you want direct experience and afraid I do not have that (wish I did!)

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:21 am

Yeah stock here in the UK is nonexistant.
The only place I've seen that even has an ETA is LowestOnWeb, hardly a reputable dealer, and they claim "72 due on 05/11/2004".
I've asked the guys at KustomPCs and they say their suppliers are doing everything they can to get hold of them but they regret they have no ETA yet.

Anyway, back on topic:
I would go with the Winchester purely for futureproofing purposes, what with 754 being discontinued before too long. However this means you'd probably have to wait til the end of november to see any real choice in motherboards, especially if you want PCI-express.

I'm also planning a socket 939 3000+ or 3200+ system (not yet decided, will go on budget at the time) and want PCI-express. I am waiting until January to do so for several reasons:
1) Manufacturers will be rushing to get boards out for xmas, and there will undoubtedly be BIOS problems. So let the muggins's find all the BIOS faults on Dec 25th so by the time I come to buy there are some handy flash upgrades. Cynical I know, but there you go.
2) Boards that are available in time for xmas will be stockpiled, so come Jan there should be plenty of excess stock for me to get at reduced prices in the sales.
3) By 2005 there shouldn't be supply problems with the Winchester parts and the good old first law of capitalism (price = demand/supply) should mean lower prices.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:23 am

There's about a $20 (USD) difference in the CPU (180 vs 160 for retail), and there's also about a $30 difference for the mobo (130 vs 100 for one with fewer for me unneccesary things). So it's about $310 v $260, or as you said, about 20%.

I don't care about PCI-Express, as I plan to continue to run my Matrox P650 indefinitely.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:02 pm

bumpin' up just to see if anyone has any experience to relate

MainframeGuy
Friend of SPCR

Post by MainframeGuy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:36 am

I have a Winchester 3500 installed now - but am having troubles with the machine (it will not find the slave HD nor recognise external one touch drive). Also I have upgraded from an XP3000+ so cannot compare with Newcastle directly, only by someone else posting their results for Newcastle here - then I could try to run comparable testing and see what I get?