AMD Sempron Socket A

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sdliddo

AMD Sempron Socket A

Post by sdliddo » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:05 am

Was planning to get the Sempron 2500+. Just wondering how hot this thing can get under full power? or idling? My old PC is ok but I kinda need something a tad bit more powerful but still gonna use it mostly for downloading stuff off the net 24/7.

My old PC is a Celeron 800 and while I feel I can still make use of it one way or the other, but its feeling slow when I'm running multiple tasks. I'm going to likely give it over to my sister and let her play SIMS or stuff on it. Just gotta give it a more powerful graphics card :)

:D

Oh! And I'm planning to purchase the MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum for my motherboard. Can anyone offer me details if this mobo is good ...

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:23 am

A sempron is basically the same thing as a thouroghbred athlon, so it'll produce the same heat as an equivalent GHz Tbred, which in your case would be, I think, a 2100+. That should be a bit less than an equivalent GHz barton, and significantly more than a faster mobile barton.

earworm

Post by earworm » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:16 pm

i got the same motheroard, not a bad thing, but there's one thing that really annoys me:
there aren't 4 mounting holes around the CPU which makes it hard to install several heatsinks, or waterblocks for cooling

i noticed that most cooling systems seem to work with screws and not with that clip mounting system

that's the reason why i'm gonna buy a new mobo,

don't wanna buy mine, do you? its not even 6 months old :D