new tj04 rig

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chaumess

new tj04 rig

Post by chaumess » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:42 pm

Hey guys,

Looking for some validation and ideas here...

I'm about to replace my current crappy case (a generic, older, loud Antec) with something better and quieter.

I want a really nice case for a change, but it has to be 12cm fans. So after a lot of searching, I think I'm going to try the Sliverstone TJ04. Any firsthand experience with it out there?

I haven't made a final decision on power supply, but I'm leaning towards the Seasonic SuperSilencer 400.

I will have two 300GB DiamondMax10 disks in the front, which I plan to rig a suspension system for, directly in front of the intake fan.

I really like this system, but I worry a little about lateral stability (if I or my dog bumps into the running machine, I can't have the drives banging around in there. No amount of RAID would save me from the ensuing head crashes).

The Maxtor's are slightly louder than 'cudas, but the 300GB capacities will be a better thermal solution, as I'll only need two disks that way.

I'm specifically wondering what the best fan solution is for this case. It looks like the intakes in the bezel aren't terribly generous, but it's hard to tell from photos. It's unclear whether a Nexus will be adequate for intake. I guess a Globe would be the next-best thing, and they seem to move a little more air. Anyone have experience with this case? I do, of course, plan to cut out the round-holed fan grills both front and back. What are the best dust-filtering options that will be quiet and not impede too much airflow?

Also, it seems like the fan on the Seasonic PSU is a bit on the loud side at higher voltages, from what I've read. I'm sure someone has already done it, but is it pretty easy to mod this PSU with a quieter fan? What's the best fan for this job? How careful do I need to be with the rear exhaust fan, to be sure it doesn't starve the PSU of air?

For now, the internals going into this system are a P4 @ 3.0Ghz (800Mhz FSB), on an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. I'm using the Zalman H7000AlCu heatsink/fan. Passive northbridge cooling. Will probably continue using the Ti4200 video card from Asus. Ultimately, this case will house my next completely new rig, which will hopefully be a dual-core Athlon64 on an nforce4 chipset.

Also, is it possible to replace the fan on the Zalman 7000-series heatsinks? Mine is a bit noisy. And what do people recommend in the way of (aesthetically-pleasing) fan controllers?

So what do you all think? Any help much appreciated.