SilenX 340W 0 dab LUXURAE PSU

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

F.P.

SilenX 340W 0 dab LUXURAE PSU

Post by F.P. » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:46 pm

Hi,
Need some help concerning SilenX 340W 0 dBA LUXURAE PSU.
My system is made up of:
M.S.I. P4 Main Board. [ 865PE NEO2-V ]
Pentium 4 2.60GHZ
512mb Ram
Thermaltake Fanless 103 CPU cooler
Windows XP Home Edition.
Antec SLK3700-BQE case.
When I first boot up, everything is fine, but 5 minutes later, it SHUTS DOWN. Testing the PSU with the Antec ATX Power supply tester shows the PSU as " dead "
The next day, retesting the PSU, it shows as " good ", including all the voltages. :?:
I tried again, with the PSU out of the PC case, with the PC side panell off, and a 12cm fan running, in 5 minutes, the same result, total shut down, PSU testing " dead " again. :!:
I connected a Antec True Power 480W PSU, and everything runs fine, no shutdowns. :?:
The SilenX LUXURAE PSU was bloody expensive. [ $ 380 Australian ] not including the shipping cost :!:
Any help or suggestions :?:
I will be very grateful :D
Franc.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:34 pm

Does the fan in the PSU spin when the system is running? A defective fan could be not spinning up at all, and causing the PSU to overheat and go into "Thermal Protection Shutdown". The 5 minute timeframe makes that seem like a possibility. (if there was something catastrophically wrong with the circuitry, you'd think it'd shut down immediately)

But if the fan is spinning, then call Silenx, ask for an RMA number, and send it back.

You did basically everything I would have suggested you try already:A/B'ing it with another PSU, opening the case to verify that its not a cooling issue....time to go to the next step, unfortunately.

Good luck, and keep us posted :lol:

F.P.

Post by F.P. » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:09 am

Rusty075
Thanks for you quick reply.
I made a silly mistake, forgot to say that the SilenX LUXURAE PSU is fanless.
Today, I connected the LUXURAE to another PC, whose motherboard does NOT require the JBW power connector. More than 1 hour later, no shut down.