hi, i'd like some advice before ordering components. I'd like to build a pretty quiet PC (i.e. much quieter than the average ready-made desktop) but am not fussed about it being totally silent or anything. Most important is that it should be quiet when idling (e.g. overnight, when the only thing it's doing is either nothing, or just downloading stuff). For comparison, my current PC is a ready-made Dell Dimension XPS600T which is a P3 600MHz which i bought in 2000. It is way too noisy.
I have done a lot of reading on SPCR and other sites, as i've never built a PC before, but think i'm up to the challenge, plus have a friend who should be able to help. I also want to mention that SPCR is an excellent resource, I am eternally grateful to the creators, and will be contributing as soon as I start earning! (graduate this summer)
The components I'm considering are as follows:
case: antec 3700BQE
mobo: asus P5GD2 deluxe (intel 915P)
CPU: intel P4 3.0GHz socket 775
CPU HS: thermalright XP-120 or XP-90, but think 120 should fit
CPU HS fan: not sure - suggestions? what is best 120mm fan for XP-120?
grease: arctic silver ceramique (but is this necessary? is it much better than stuff which comes with thermalright XP-120?)
PSU: either the 350W one which comes with 3700BQE, or antec NeoPower 480
graphics: geforce 6600gt 128mb (PCI express)
sound card: will buy a semi-pro one at later date
RAM: 1gb ddr2 240pin, either PC-5300 or PC-4300
tv card: will purchase at later date. possibly digital TV card.
HDD: new HD will be boot HD (partition 1) plus data (part. 2), for which i'm going for 160GB samsung spinpoint - either IDE or SATA versions; also have existing 120GB IDE HD which i'll put in as extra backup for random files, plus maybe swap file partition or sthg.
DVD-RW: NEC-ND2510A (already have this)
any general thoughts / opinions / help / advice / comments are welcome.
however, specifically, i need help on these things:
1. i want to chuck my current (120gb IDE) HD in the new machine too - can I have one SATA HD and one IDE HD? or should i just buy the new one as IDE too?
2. my DVD-writer is IDE - is that OK too, potentially with the new SATA HD and old IDE HD etc.?
3. does my adoption of a mid-high range PCI express video card, & of a SATA hard disk *require* an ATX v2.0 compliant PSU e.g. antec NeoPower, or will the cheaper one coming with the 3700BQE be OK?
5. will the Intel P4 3.0ghz will come with the stock heatsink-fan already on the CPU? i.e. will i have to remove it in order to install the Thermalright HSF?
6. i have read in several places that geforce 6600gt offers excellent performance for cheaper than 6800, but what difference does 128MB vs 256MB make? Any difference to, e.g. speed of Photoshop tasks, or TV-card tasks? or is 128 enough for most users?
7. Samsung Spinpoint 160GB - is the SATA version as quiet as the IDE version (i presume it must be, but just checking
8. is there anything i'll need to buy that i've missed off the list? (except obvious peripherals e.g. mouse, keyboard)
9. are there any compatibility issues between any of the listed components that anybody can identify?
Many thanks on any comments / help / advice / thoughts