I'm new to this forum but I was around for a while gathering information to help me build a perfect silent system. I'm currently looking for the remaining parts to put in this system. I got sooooooo many good advices here and I'm really happy SPCR exists! This forum is by far one of the best for silent computer related products!... A big thanks to all contributors!
Well... So far, here's my new system:
- Zalman Reserator 1
- Zalman ZM-GWB1 GPU waterblock
- Zalman ZM-2HC1 HDD cooler
- Antec Sonata (without fan case and power supply)
- Nexus 120mm case fan
- Antec Phantom (still waiting for the shipping) *
- Asus K8N-E Deluxe (Nforce3 250GB chipset)
- AMD Athlon64 3400+
- 1GB Kingston HyperX CL 2.5
- Seagate Baraccuda 200GB SATA
- Pioneer PX-712A DVD+-R/W (silence option through firmware)
- APC 750 UPS
- 3.5" floppy (well, just for the look!
- Round IDE cable for the writer and round floppy cable
* About the Phantom, I'm planning to put it "outside" the case, is that recommanded with that kind of power supply? My first idea was to buy a Zalman NEPS400 but even Zalman don't know when it will be released ("maybe" in the first quarter of 2005)...
Now, I really need advice here...
Initially, I wanted to add an ATI Radeon X800 Pro... but if I can have a X800 XT instead, that will be very nice! Is the Reserator and the Phantom can easily handle this card (X800 XT) and the Athlon64? I know the power supply is enough but I'm wondering if the Reserator will be able to properly cool the GPU and the CPU. I bough a bottle of waterwetter (12 oz from Danger Den) and will add it to distilled water to help a bit. Zalman told me to add about 5% of coolant (or waterwetter) to distilled water, so that 12oz bottle will be just fine! Is somebody try that kind of setup (X800+Athlon64)? And if so, which one should I cool first, the GPU or the CPU?
The last part I need to buy is a new monitor... My good old Viewsonic is now making a very annoying high pitch noise that drives my crazy. Hopefully, I have a laptop that I can use instead!
This CRT have to go and I have 2 LCDs in mind to replace it... One is from Sony (HS94P/B
) and the other one is from Viewsonic (VP912b
). Is anybody familiar with these? They both have the same 12ms panel. The LCD will be use for programming, graphic design and gaming. Because of poor interpolation of LCDs, only the native 1280x1024 will be used. That's also the reason of the Radeon X800. Both brands are good but I'm aware of dead pixels (got 2 on a previous CRT, pretty annoying... was near the middle of the screen
)... I can have Viewsonic at cost and without taxes (well my store pay the taxes...), so that would be nice for the price... But some said that Sony makes better LCDs. Which one should I take?
By the way, I know Samsung make quieter drives than Seagate but having a computer store, I had so many problem with them in the past, so I prefer to use Seagate drives instead.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
PS: Is anybody having trouble getting the Phantom in Canada? I ordered one couple days ago and did not receive any progress info except that they received my order (at ([url]frontierpc.com[/url]). It was in stock when I placed the order but now they give it a 2-3 weeks delay (special order)...