Mobile Athlon XP-M, PowerNow and lack of support in bios

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JorgenGr

Mobile Athlon XP-M, PowerNow and lack of support in bios

Post by JorgenGr » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:45 pm

HI

I have a small server build on a Soltek SL-75MIV2-L MB. It's running with an XP-M CPU (2600+ I think). O/S is linux. Vcore I have set at 1.125 and freq at 100MHz, mulitiplier seames fixed at 15 (=1500MHz, CPU temp 38C cel).

I'd like to lower the speed to 500MHz or less.
Unfortunaly the bios don't support the mobile XP, and PowerNow depends on the bios.
I'd like just to be able to change the multiplier in bios.

I think an ordinary Athlon allows change of multiplier by this MB.

Does anybody here know of a mATX socket A board, that support the XP-M in bios (Vcore min 1.1, multiplier 5 or less - and maybe the PowerNow functions) ??

My goal is to get the PC down below 30 Watt total :-)
That takes a efficient PSU, arround 10W to the HD and 15W is left to the MB+RAM+CPU

Maybe a router board is more realiistic - maybe something with a Via CPU - but doing it with an Athlon is more fun.

Brgds Jorgen

Chang

Post by Chang » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:25 am

Your best bet is probably Biostar's M7NCG-400. I don't think you'll find any desktop board that supports PowerNow. You might be able to find some sort of software emulator that will scale the processor speed, but I've never had any luck with them.

If you just want to set it to a single multiplier and forget it, you could probably do the pinmod in socket with your current board.

JorgenGr

Post by JorgenGr » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:51 am

Hi

The Biostar M7NCG-400 have a min Vcore at 1.3V. I am running the mobile CPU at 1500GHz at 1.125V

Then the pinmod is more interesting.

Brgds Jørgen