(almost) fanless system advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RoaDKiLL617

(almost) fanless system advice

Post by RoaDKiLL617 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:13 pm

Hi

First of all, my 1st message on these forums, I recommend this place to anyone who needs a quiet system :D

OK here's my plan... I was getting a bit tired of my Prescott 3GHz and all the noise it made, so I decided to get a whole new system. Also I'm moving to a house in the middle of nowhere, without neighbors or traffic or anything, so the ambient will be pretty silent. Here's what I've been thinking about:

Pentium M 1.7GHz with a Thermalright SB2 (no fan on it, will keep it at 1GHz anyways)
AOpen i855GMEm-LFS mobo
Gigabyte 6800NU, passively cooled
Antec Phantom 350w
InWin V523T MicroATX case with 2x 92mm holes
Samsung 80GB 2.5" HD

I was thinking about keeping the whole system fanless, is that possible? or will I need a fan to get the hot air out of the system? and what would you change in that system?

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for any grammar/sp errors, English isn't my native language ;)

Edit: I have a spare 92mm Papst fan and a Fanmate 2, would that be enough for the back of the case at ~7v? (I heard these won't even start @ 5v)

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:05 am

I would definitely use that rear case fan. Fanless PSUs really need some sort of ventalation and the rear fan will help get rid of that rising heat from the very hot 6800.

The 6800 hints that you will be playing games but running the CPU at 1GHz will seriously limit your gaming performance. If you're not much of a gamer then get something coller running than the 6800.

greeef

Post by greeef » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:39 am

I'm not sure the phantom will fit in a micro-atx case - you may need to bolt it to the top of your pc.

RoaDKiLL617

Post by RoaDKiLL617 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:24 am

I won't be playing *that* much, but I'll play a bit of HL2, Doom3, and I plan on having the vidcard for more than 1 year so it doesn't get too old.

I'll have the cpu at 1GHz for normal everyday use (internet, mp3s, etc), but I'll leave it at 1.7GHz or even overclock it when gaming, I thought about putting 3 fanmates outside of the case to controll the 3 fans (2x case + 1 cpu)

And looking at the case, the phantom will fit, it has the standard screws and all

thanks for the info

Mike_Metro

Post by Mike_Metro » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:17 am

RoadKill617:
Have you put this sytem together?
How do you like the InWin V523T?
It looks like the included power supply is a full sized ATX power supply. Have you tried replacing it with the Phantom?
Are there front mounting holes for a 92mm fan? The picture on NewEgg aren't very clear.

I am considering building a MicroATX system with this case, it looks like one of the better MicroATX cases out there.