Is this a good setup?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Robert

Is this a good setup?

Post by Robert » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:06 pm

Hello :)

Ive got lots of help just reading this site, and also on quietpc.com. A week ago i knew nothing about pc silencing. But ive been reading alot this holiday. However i just want to check this with you. Im trying to silence my PC which really is too loud for me, i hear it outside the room where it is. Its Impossible to sleep with it some feet away hehe. The stuff i will keep is IntelP4 2,2ghz, 4 maxtor, 512mb and the motherboard. I want

A new chassi
A new psu (this one is definately the biggest badguy in current comp)
And in the process a new graphics card

From what ive been reading i think this might be good.

The chassi
Acousticase 6607
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/popup ... lkopen.asp

The graphics card
A nvidia 6600GT (I dont know loudness of this, but maybe i should get ZM80C/D-HP)

The psu
This one i cannot decide. Should i go fanless or not. Maybe i go with the antec phantom 350w http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=24350, which is fanless, but will need some (serious?) cooling. In that chassi, is one or even two fans enough? (the acousticase got room for two 120mm fans). Ive read about the silent Nexus fans but maybe they dont push the air required for a phantom. In that case, getting louder fans maybe just equals out the benefit of the phantom? Or should i get a Seasonic Super Tornado 400w http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/revi ... ado_1.html which got the fan already, and might not need else fans? The price tag doesnt differ that much. Im also not sure if the Phantom got enough power for the graphics card, 4hdd and maybe some fans too. Yes very newbie questions but i just want to hear what you think of this.

Thank you, happy new year!

Mr_Smartepants

Re: Is this a good setup?

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:52 am

Robert wrote: From what ive been reading i think this might be good.

The chassi
Acousticase 6607
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/popup ... lkopen.asp
Yes, it's a good case but for $199 USD it's wildly overpriced for what it is. This is the EXACT same case as a Compucase LX-6A19 with silencing extras (ie. Acoustipack, rubber fan isolators, rubber feet, etc). Considering that the LX-6A19 can be found for ~$40 online (directron.com), that's a huge cost differential for soundproofing foam, rubber feet, etc. which you can install yourself.
But if you don't want to do any work yourself, then yeah, it's a good case.
With either case, you will definately want to punch/cut out both fan grills at the minimum.
Robert wrote: The graphics card
A nvidia 6600GT (I dont know loudness of this, but maybe i should get ZM80C/D-HP)
Not a good combo. You should check out this thread. You could use an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer instead which dumps the heat outside the case.
Robert wrote: The psu
This one i cannot decide. Should i go fanless or not. Maybe i go with the antec phantom 350w .... Or should i get a Seasonic Super Tornado 400w
The phantom (while silent) will dump loads of heat into the interior of your case which you'll need to compensate for with the rear fan. I don't think the nexus fan would move enough air as your only exhaust in that situation. Of your choices, I'd recommend the Seasonic as well as a pair of nexus fans (front/rear). You'd definately need both 120mm fans(PSU/rear fan) as heat extraction for the amount of heat being produced in your case. With 4 Maxtor HDDs pumping all that heat! You'd NEED a front fan to keep them cool.
I'd rethink this and depending on your storage needs, switch to a single/large HDD instead of many small ones.

You could check out my build pictures here of a LX-6A19 with a Fortron FSP300-60PN (very similar to the Seasonic) for a combined case/PSU price of ~$80 USD. Check it out.

Robert

Post by Robert » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Excellent! Thank you very much for a very helpful reply.

I had already booked the case, and i will stick to it. Ive looked some at the shops in sweden and cannot find the LX-6A19, but i probably would have sticked to the acousticase much for the simplicity. Ive ordered the Super Tornado today also :D. As for the nexus fans i simply cannot find any shop selling them here so i guess i have to order from abroad, not a big deal, but i want the stuff now hehe. Excellent info on the 6600 cooling too.

Thank you, seeya

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:21 pm

That same case goes by many different names. The LX-6A19 was one that I personally have used.
It also goes by D8000 at coolcases.com. There's a few others that I can't remember. You can search these forums for both terms and maybe get some modding ideas from what others have done. It's a moot point anyway since you've already ordered the acousticase. You'll be pleased with it I'm sure. Like I mentioned earlier, you'll want to remove the semi-restrictive fan grills and go without on the front (no reason for having a fan grill on the front anyway!) and a wire grill on the rear (to keep out curious kids or pets).

Your choices in fans are endless. You should check out the stickies in the fans forums.
I'm sure you'll be able to find something in that list available in your area.