help identifying noise!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

help identifying noise!

Post by ryboto » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:39 am

I posted this somewhere else, in case anyone sees it twice, i apologize:

I have a sonata case, and recently i purchased 2 temp controlled fans....one being the acoustifan, and another the smartfan by antec. Without the fans on, the machine is mor or less inaudible thanks to the fanmate on the cpu and samsungs spinpoint, but with the fans on, i get a hum from the computer....is this due to the turbulence of airflow?? more specifically with the front fan, and the fact that it has to pull air through cracks in the hdd cage? The fans spin pretty slow if i just let the thermistors hang in the case, but i prefer having them on the gpu's heatsink to get possibly better performance when needed.

I've attempted as best i could to duct the front fan so that it isn't merely recirculating air, so, could the front bezel/rear grill be causing air noise? or fan vibration? I'm not at home right now, so i can only speculat, but what do you guys suggest i try to figure out the source?

nici

Post by nici » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:31 am

Fan vibration, fan grilles, the whoosh and possible bearing/motor noise all add up. Pulling air over the hdd-cage? In most setups you really should have the front fan pushing air into the case, not pulling it out.

Try listening to the fan outside the sase holding it in your hand and put it on the table to check if it vibrates. Fan grilles are most likely also causing some noise, cut them out if you dont have kids or pets that like to stick fingers inside your computer :wink:

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:51 am

nici wrote:Fan vibration, fan grilles, the whoosh and possible bearing/motor noise all add up. Pulling air over the hdd-cage? In most setups you really should have the front fan pushing air into the case, not pulling it out.

Try listening to the fan outside the sase holding it in your hand and put it on the table to check if it vibrates. Fan grilles are most likely also causing some noise, cut them out if you dont have kids or pets that like to stick fingers inside your computer :wink:
with the sonata, the fan is mounted after the hard drive cage, to pull air over the hard drives...that's what i meant..it's not blowing air out, it's technically sucking air in, but in a crappy way..