Fanless PSU in my HTPC setup? Advice please!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vbap
Friend of SPCR

Fanless PSU in my HTPC setup? Advice please!

Post by vbap » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I took time over christmas to build my HTPC box with generally quiet parts. However, in order pass the W.A.F., the noise has to be near silent. Currently, my PSU makes the most noise, so thinking Antec Phantom, but concerned about heat/airflow.

My Setup is:
  • Accent/Kanam/DIGN/D.Vine case (http://www.arisetec.com/products/HT-100.htm)
    Intel D865PERLL motherboard
    P4 1.8Ghz w Zalman CNPS7000B-CU
    Gigabyte ATI 9200 (fan removed)
    Hauppage PVR-350
    Enermax 300W EG301P-VE(FMA)
    1x40g Samsung IDE, 1x160g Samsung SATA
The desktop-oriented HTPC case is rather cramped (an absolute bugger to get components in/out - there is about 1mm clearance between the heatsink copper fin and the bottom of the PSU!). There is an 80mm case fan at the rear, and vent holes in the bottom and sides. However, the case fan has been off for the last week.

Currently, CPU temperatures (from the Intel utility) are around 35C (with ambient around 20C).

I'm hopeful that replacing the Enermax with the Phantom will not impact temperatures too much, particularly if I replace the rear case fan with a panaflo and have it spin at 5V.

I am using the HTPC as a media playback device - the only "encoding" it does is recording TV shows, but that is done by the PVR-350 hardware, not the CPU.

I would like some opinions before I shell out ~$300 (Aussie) for a PSU!

Thanks,
Danny