Advice for a Vinyl to CD pc build...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bcat

Advice for a Vinyl to CD pc build...

Post by bcat » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:38 pm

........affordable cpu & mb suggestions are sought for a dedicated audio box.

An unexpected turn of events puts me on the hunt for an affordable solution for an otherwise completed (or so I thought) vinyl to CD pc build, finished last year except for the audio card.

I need suggestions for cpu, mb, memory, and hs. I’d like to keep it under $400.00, but will spend more if necessary. My main criteria are affordability and low to moderate heat output (for quiet cooling). I don’t think a powerhouse cpu is needed because I’ll only be working with two channels at a time, some noise reduction cleanup, and then burning to cdr. I’m open to either an Intel or AMD platform, probably leaning towards Intel after my Via chipset experience. However, I’m not up on the fine points of either platform for several years now.

Here’s my current build:

Coolcases D8000-fan grills removed-MNPCTech front bezel mod, stock HEC 300 watt psu w/ L1A, Evercool 120 M’s @ 5v, intake + exhaust on EAR isolators, suspended Seagate V 60gb & WD 7200 -100gb (I know...I know :oops: ), Matrox G450 (passive heatsink), Delta 410, Plextor 12/10/32A, Zalman fan controller, case dampening and Melamine from McMaster’s

I’m at this point because it seems my new M-Audio Delta 410 soundcard is not compatible with an Iwill KK266-R mb (Via KT133A chipset). Countless hours of tweaking has not resolved the clicks and pops.

This is what M-Audio has to say in their online FAQ:
“Q: Can M-Audio Delta Series cards be used with Main Boards using VIA Chipsets?
A: Yes, please be aware of the following System Requirements and Tips:
- Recommended are VIA Chipsets starting from the KT266A Chipset (266A, 333, 400, 400A or higher).”

Thanks to all for your suggestions

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:16 pm

I really recommend an Athlon XP-M. The reason for the XP-M is it is a Mobile CPU and such lows runs at lower voltages (maent for saving battery life) and low heat levels (as it's hard to extract heat from a cramped laptop case.

The DFI Infinity has a multitude of clock and voltage settings so you can the perfect balance between heat and performance and also a passive northbridge HS so I recommed that as your Motherboard.

For the HS I recommend the thermalright Si-97 with a Nexus 92mm fan.

I have no idea abount your sound card with the nForce 2 chipset but an alternative is to go for a board with the VIA KT880 chipset though you will get less clocking and voltage options.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:44 pm

Motherboard: Epox EP-8KDA3J = $69

CPU:
AMD Athlon64 2800+ s754 = $115

CPU Cooler:
Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu = $37

RAM:
OCZ Gold 2x512 PC3700 DDR RAM = $245.5

Makes $466.5 at NewEgg. You could make it fit inside $400 by getting the non-Gb chipset version motherboard and slower RAM and shopping around. However, the above will give you a very powerful setup that you can overclock easily AND undervolt for nice & quiet operation.[/url]

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Burcakb, I don't agree with your choice of RAM. Tight timings bring MINIMAL gains in almost all tasks, some good quality value RAM would bring the costs of that system well under $400, though you did already suggest possibly changing that. I just don't think it's even worth considering.

EDIT: Although I can see your reason for recommending it since it would enable you to raise the FSB and overclock pretty far or to raise the FSB while dropping the Multi.
Last edited by Jordan on Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:17 pm

Agreed. Go for something like this ($165) instead, and save yourself a bit of cash.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:21 pm

I did propose that ram mainly for overclocking. I did 2300 MHz with my s754 3000+ at 1.25V so having RAM with a high headroom could easily outmatch the cost difference of a more powerful processor. And yes, stock PC3200 would be much cheaper.

bcat

Post by bcat » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I will check out the ideas you've given along with prices.

Are there any Intel folks who could give some ideas for a suitable solution? Specifically what core runs cooler (not the Prescott, I'll bet? :shock: ) along with any ideas on chipsets, motherboards, and memory.

From what I've heard Intel is the 1st choice as far as rock solid compatible chipsets go for DAW's. I've always preferred the lower cost of AMD chips, but with all the different AMD chipsets out there I'm afraid of having another problem.

I appreciate any help you can offer :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:11 pm

bcat wrote:Are there any Intel folks who could give some ideas for a suitable solution? Specifically what core runs cooler (not the Prescott, I'll bet? :shock: ) along with any ideas on chipsets, motherboards, and memory.

From what I've heard Intel is the 1st choice as far as rock solid compatible chipsets go for DAW's.
The differences for DAWs between Intel and AMD are probably exacggerated, IMO. You have to stay with Northwoods. A P4-2.4 (800) will set you back ~$125. Any 856 board will do, along with the Z7000 HSF mentioned above. For the SPCR lab, I use something similar in a Shuttle Zen SFF barebones -- very quiet, perfectly suitable. A Zen will set you back !$250 tho...

bcat

Post by bcat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:01 pm

Thanks to all who responded to my post

After checking out all the options I decided to go with an Intel upgrade.

The P4 2.4C Northwood, an Asus P4P800 SE, 1gb Dual Channel Mushkin PC3200, XP-90 with a Nexus just looked too interesting to pass by.

Now, where the hell is that FedEx guy :lol:

Mike, I checked out the SPCR Lab article, WOW....are you a geek or what!! j/k :D :)

What an awesome setup you've got!!

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:37 pm

I'd recommend going with the Abit NF7-S motherboard (be sure to buy a passive sink for the northbridge; that is the only drawback with that motherboard), with a mobile 2500+ (stock 1.45V but you can easily get that down to 1.35V). If you pair that (with your ram of choice) with the Antec 3000B case, you can run your CPU fanless with ease with the SI-97 heatsink (the cpu duct sucks in just enough air to keep the cpu running VERY cool). If you can pair the 3000B with a 120mm PSU (I'd recommend the Fortron 300W 120mm PSU) you can just use the stock fan that comes with the 3000B set to low and you'll be good to go. Good luck!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:48 pm

bcat wrote: Mike, I checked out the SPCR Lab article, WOW....are you a geek or what!! j/k :D :) ...What an awesome setup you've got!!
uh, it's just what happened when I tried to keep up with SPCR reader demands. :wink: I still don't have enough / adequate test gear for everything... Like that electron microscope needed to examine the alignment of the molecules in the HS for optimal heat transfer or... :lol: :lol:

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:42 am

"I'd recommend going with the Abit NF7-S motherboard"

He already has his parts. There's any easy way around the NF7-S active NB cooling... get a DFI LanPart/Infinity. This took over from the Abit as the top Skt A overclockers board when it came out.