Need a little input silencing a P4

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gholam

Need a little input silencing a P4

Post by Gholam » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:02 pm

Now that's my system is parctically inaudible, comes the first time I do a silencing job for a customer :)

At the moment, his system consists of a P4 3GHz Northwood core, HEC 6A19 case with stock power supply, Asus P4P800-Deluxe motherboard, and Asus V9999GE graphics card (regular 6800 on a 6800 Ultra PCB with 1000MHz memory). All cooling is stock, one Y.S.Tech fan in the back of the case, I don't know the type of his HD - most likely Western Digital.

The proposed bill of materials is as follows:
Zalman CNPS-7000B AlCu
Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5
Coolermaster SUF-S12-EB 120mm fan
HEC Power-OP 475W PSU, a fan swap for a pair of Coolermaster TLF-S82 is possible but I don't think it'll be needed - fans in HEC PSUs are typically of high quality
Coolermaster Aerogate II fan controller - I'd use a Sunbeam Rheobus, but it has too much potential in causing damage by setting fans too slow/turning them off, and the owner of the system isn't particularly tech-savvy, so the 7V low limit on Aerogate is actually somewhat of a positive thing.

I also plan to suspend his hard drive sideways in the drive cage to reduce noise coming from there.

Unfortunately, all of the nice Nexus/Panaflo/Enermax/Seasonic/whatever gear is not available here in Israel, these components are pretty much the best I could find without going into outrageous stuff like water cooling (a Reserator alone costs about as much as all this put together).

Are there any glaring oversights/incompatibilities in this setup? Does anyone have any experience with this PSU - I don't - and how quiet it is (or isn't)?

Thanks in advance :)