duct cpu to exhaust?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

masp

duct cpu to exhaust?

Post by masp » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:33 pm

I'm thinking about ducting my cpu to the case exhaust and using the 120mm psu to vent the other heat sources. Could this be a good idea? In that case should I use a 80mm fan at the cpu or a 120mm fan at the exhaust for minimal noise (at same cfm)?

kaulike

Post by kaulike » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:19 am

Physical size doesn't matter, only airflow. However, in a duct, the difference in size may matter. There is a reason the tailpipe on your car is the same diameter for its entire run.

As the duct gets larger at the exhaust end, pressure drops. In extreme cases this can create backflow---depends on how gradual the change is. I have an InWin case with a small side duct that goes from 60mm to 80mm in about 5 inches and it doesn't seem to have a problem, although it also ducts the CPU fan noise directly out into the room. If you are ducting yours all the way to the back I don't think you will encounter any difficulties as long as the duct diameter changes gradually.

You could just put a big honkin heatsink on the processor and remove its fan altogether. That would be far less trouble and would keep airflow over the other components.