Help me decide between 2 between fan configurations for HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tmchow

Help me decide between 2 between fan configurations for HTPC

Post by tmchow » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:10 am

I'm in the middle of assembling a system based on these components:

-Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (nForce4)
-AMD 3500+ Winchester
-Zalman 7700 CPU cooler
-Evga 6600GT PCI-Express with Zalman VF700
-Case: (Arisetec HT-400
-Fans: Two 80mm Nexus fans, one intake, one exhaust

For my power supply, I was going to use a fanless SilenX Luxurae 460W. I actually bought it and its sitting right next to me. I changed my mind and decided to also order a Seasonic Super Tornado 400W.

My plan is to ditch my 80mm exhaust fan and use the Seasonic ST instead.

My case only has 1 spot to mount an 80mm fan on the rear of the case. There is however, a spot under the 5.25" drive cage where I can cut a hole out and mount an 80mm fan.

I'm trying to figure out what the best place to put the 80mm intake fan is -- front or back?

I have 2 choices, either use the existing REAR spot, but this means that the intake and exhaust (the seasonic PS) are both at the rear.

Second choice is for me to cut a hole at the bottom of my case right at the front, underneath the 5.25" drive cage. This would draw air from underneath the case.

I'm guessing the front mounted fan will have better airflow since air will be coming across the case front to back.

However, I wonder if that is really that much better since my Zalmn 7700 is sitting in the middle of all of this and incoming air from either front or back would be spun around by the zalmna i'm thinking..

anyways, let me know what you think.

Here are the 2 variations:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachme ... ntid=33737

or

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachme ... ntid=33739

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 am

The first is better in terms of cooling other components (such as harddrives) and has no real disadvantage over the second option that I can see, except a possible extra degree or two added on to the temperature of air getting to the zalman.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:27 am

The first setup I'd try is not using intake fans at all. Block off the opening for the rear fan and remove the slot covers of unused PCI slots. This would pull most of the air from the left and a bit from the front.

If this would result in too high temps, then I'd open up the grill in the front bottom and put an exhaust fan in the rear opening.