Silent Shuttle

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spacemonkey

Silent Shuttle

Post by spacemonkey » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:14 am

Hey, I'm new to the forum, I've been driven here 'cos I made a bad mistake when building my new (well reletively new now) PC. Basically I have a ShuttleX case and mobo so things are a little cramped in there, and i stuck a Raedion 9800 pro Saphire in there, it was rather noisy. Normally this wouldn't be too difficult to get over, stick some kind of uber heatsink on it like that one zalman makes, the problem is that in a shuttle PC the AGP slot is on the wrong side of the PCI slot, which means that the fan is about 2 cm away from the edge of the case. Ive put a system fan in the PCI slot, but that hasn't helped at all, without cutting a large hole in the side of my case is there anything I can do to quiet things down a bit, because I can hear the fan going in the room next door. Anyway, if you can help please post a reply, if not thanks for reading it. I will consider any option given to me, I'm a man on the edge.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:25 am

You may want to look at the Aerocool VM-101 cooler for your 9800. It swaps the big fins onto the "back" side of the card, where you've got more room in your case. You'll need to double check the amount of space available above the card, as it does stick up an inch or so above the top of the PCI slot, and the space on the PCI card side. It will mean that you lose the use of the PCI slot, but if you're only using that for a slot cooler, thats no big deal.

spacemonkey

Post by spacemonkey » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:02 pm

Thanks, I just bought one, looks like it could be a tight squeeze though, but at only £22 I thought why not, I'll post back if I manage to fit it incase anybody else has this problem.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:11 pm

We'd love to see pics!