Getting rid of those last annoying noises

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

electricwinger

Getting rid of those last annoying noises

Post by electricwinger » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:43 pm

Hello SPCR people!

I've been trying to silence my PC for a little while now, during which time I discovered your very useful website.

I've got various quiet components now installed - nexus fans, thermalright cpu cooler, zalman gpu cooler. Now that I have got rid of the main sources of noise I'm left with the ones that used to be hidden from my hearing. Because I'm a picky person, even though they are not loud, I want to get rid of them too.

My Tagan psu makes that annoying ticking noise that I've found other people have suffered from. I also have a pair of 160Gb samsung spinpoints that have JVC motors - I got them before I'd heard of nidec - and they make a high pitched whine that bugs me.

Having browsed around the forums here I reckon I could replace the psu with a seasonic s12 or maybe an antec phantom. The problem is that I have no idea where to get a seasonic in the UK and would be concerned that the phantom would get too hot in my case with its low airflow.

I'm also intrigued by the idea of using notebook hard drives instead of regular ones. How noticable is the hit on performance when using these? I suppose that applications will take longer to load, but once they are in memory, they should perform okay. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

If anyone has any advice on what to do to silence that last bit of noise then their suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:49 pm

Can't help you yet on the notebook drives, but I think the consensus is that performance hit isn't too noticeable.

But I think I know where you can get a Seasonic S12 in the UK