Any tips?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Any tips?

Post by Shining Arcanine » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:48 pm

Today I installed EAR Grommets which made a detectable difference over my generic shock absorbers and vantec 80mm fan vibration dampener.

My PC's specifications are:

Intel 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Processor Revision C w/Thermalright SP-94 & 5 volt Ultra Quiet Panaflo
Intel D875PBZLK Motherboard
Corsair TWINX3200LL Revision 1.1 Memory
Western Digital 320GB Caviar w/ EAR Grommets and AAM enabled
ATI AIW 9700 Pro w/Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3
ATI TV Wonder Pro
CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive
Thermaltake Purepower 480W variable fan speed PSU
Panaflo Ultra Quiet Fan as a rear case fan w/ EAR Grommets

Here is a picture:

http://img101.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img101& ... ypc0wv.jpg

The next thing on my to do list is get an Antec Phantom 350 Watt PSU. Besides, that do you have any tips?
Last edited by Shining Arcanine on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:56 pm

If that was my machine, my next steps would be Phantom and maybe Zalman fanless on the video card. I wasn't crazy about the Truepower or Noisetaker PSU's that I had earlier... with the phantom all I can hear is a slight humm when I put my ear to the PSU.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:37 pm

You're next step should be to both replace the PSU AND suspend/put on foam the hard drive. This will have a signifcant effect on the amount or resonance and hard drive seek noise it puts out.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:55 pm

Shadowknight wrote:You're next step should be to both replace the PSU AND suspend/put on foam the hard drive. This will have a signifcant effect on the amount or resonance and hard drive seek noise it puts out.
I would suspend the drive but I am afraid of the drive swinging around when I lay the case on its side. Thanks for the tip through.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:33 pm

Then put it on soft foam on the bottom with some elastic wire over it to hold the drive and foam to the case bottom when you put the case on its side.

Or screw a Novibes to the bottom of the case.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:17 am

wooglin wrote:If that was my machine, my next steps would be Phantom and maybe Zalman fanless on the video card. I wasn't crazy about the Truepower or Noisetaker PSU's that I had earlier... with the phantom all I can hear is a slight humm when I put my ear to the PSU.
I was thinking of getting a fanless heatsink for my video card. Should I be concerned about overheating (as my AIW 9700 Pro doesn't have a temperature sensor) and what is currently the best one?
Tibors wrote:Then put it on soft foam on the bottom with some elastic wire over it to hold the drive and foam to the case bottom when you put the case on its side.

Or screw a Novibes to the bottom of the case.
I'll look into getting one.

By the way, does anyone know how to passively cool a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Rev. C? I'd like to run it passively cooled.