New System Cooling Feedback Please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rickshobbies

New System Cooling Feedback Please

Post by rickshobbies » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:51 pm

I just put together a P4 3.2 640 (775) (stock new style radial fin cooler) system with a 6800 GT in an Antec Sonata with a TreuPower 550 PS. It's an Intel 915 mobo and after installing the hardware monitor, it is reporting the following temps under load (playing games):

CPU: as high as 60
MB zones: as high as 50

How are these temps? I notice that the MB increases and decreses the speed of the CPU fan while playing games.

The Intel site states that I should set the CPU temp threshhold to 75 degrees (C) and the system as high as 60, but 50 is suggested. Obviously, I am triggering the alerts if I set it to 50.

Any feedback would be great! Oh, and the stock Antec 120mm fan is connected to the Antec PS fan-only molex. Connecting it directly to a regular molex produces a wind tunnel and doesn't seem to affect temps.

The Sonata case is in stock trim. I want to keep things reasonably quiet, but not go too crazy with things like mods and what not.

Rick