Anyone have 64-bit windows XP up with SATA

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jerryk
*Lifetime Patron*

Anyone have 64-bit windows XP up with SATA

Post by jerryk » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:26 pm

Hi,

I have a single SATA drive I want to install Windows XP 64 bit on. The problem is the drive is not seen by the installer. The system has a ASUS A8V MB and I downloaded the 64 bit SATA drivers from ASUS and hit F6 to load the drivers. But when I try to install the only drive Windows shows is a Samsung IDE drive that has Linux.

Any thoughts?

jerry

ilh

Post by ilh » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:42 am

I don't have any XP-64 experience, but I would recommend detaching all drives except for your primary SATA. With XP-32 I've had issues with it seeing an IDE drive with a primary partition, calling that C, and then installing on the SATA as drive D, etc. It wasn't at all clear inside the installer this would be the result.
Last edited by ilh on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:58 am

Are you using the latest build? (1433/RC2 beta, or ~1830 final) Try http://www.planetamd64.com - their motherboard forums may be able to help.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:25 am

Lived through Jerry's problem, lived through Lee's problem.

Both were fixed with BIOS upgrades + newer drivers. (My board was ABIT KV8Pro with the K8T800 Pro chipset)

It seems the onboard SATA driver does not show SATA drives as regular ATA drives. Especially if RAID BIOS is enabled. A BIOS update fixed that, now at boot time, the SATA disks are shown as Master 3 and Master 4.

Same thing with SATA never being C: The old BIOS thought of SATA as SCSI and awarded PATA controller the boot priority. New BIOS fixed that.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:21 pm

Disconnect your IDE/PATA drives before you boot, then do the F6 thing to load the SATA drivers and all should be fine. Once you're up and running, reconnect the PATA drives.

jerryk
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jerryk » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:59 pm

burcakb wrote:Lived through Jerry's problem, lived through Lee's problem.

Both were fixed with BIOS upgrades + newer drivers. (My board was ABIT KV8Pro with the K8T800 Pro chipset)

It seems the onboard SATA driver does not show SATA drives as regular ATA drives. Especially if RAID BIOS is enabled. A BIOS update fixed that, now at boot time, the SATA disks are shown as Master 3 and Master 4.

Same thing with SATA never being C: The old BIOS thought of SATA as SCSI and awarded PATA controller the boot priority. New BIOS fixed that.
I am not doing RAID. Only have a single SATA disk and a PATA. MB is Asus A8v Deluxe.

ilh

Post by ilh » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:55 pm

Did you try to install XP on the SATA drive with the PATA drive detached?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:14 pm

jerryk wrote:I am not doing RAID. Only have a single SATA disk and a PATA. MB is Asus A8v Deluxe.
I know, but there should be an option in BIOS that says "enable RAID BIOS". When enabled, you'll still be able to attach your drives seperately, but the controller does something funny to them so that they DON'T boot when the RAID option is disabled.

Basically:
RAID BIOS option ENABLED : JBOD mode RAID treatment to your drives
RAID BIOS option DISABLED : regular ATA treatment of your drives.

jerryk
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jerryk » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:55 am

So here is what I had to do to get the 64-bit Windows XP installed on SATA. The biggest thing was finding the correct drivers. The Asus site has several sets. Only the European drivers worked. Also, I had to power off the PATA drive so the system would boot from the SATA. Once that was done it installed as expected. However, then I noticed that some of the programs I need to run were a bit unstable. So in the end I went back to regular 32-bit Windows XP SP2.

As it stands, if I want to run 64-bit I boot the system in Fedora Core 3, 64 bit. If I want to run 32 bit I run Windows XP. There is also some tricks to getting Linux and XP to play with SATA and PATA drives, but that is another story.

jerry