Not sure if this should go here, but...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PS
Friend of SPCR

Not sure if this should go here, but...

Post by PS » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:28 am

It is about my system: I'm not really familiar with what heat sensors refer to what temps in my system (eg, temp1=cpu?, temp2=??), and here I thought I'd try speedfan, to see if my mobo uses pwm fan control, I was presented by this:
Could someone please explain this to me?? What's with the 127 C temps? And the 0 and -1 C temps?? Also, in my asusprobe software that came with my mobo (Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe), it shows my mobo=cpu temp almost all the time... if one is lower, it's usually the cpu temp by 1 degree or so. So is it referring to the wrong sensors? I saw this on speedfan, and figured that maybe temp4 is my mobo temp sensor.... I appreciate everyone's help in advance...

-PS

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:08 pm

Click on the Configure button. The first tab of the pop-up that appears lets you set which temps to display by which name. Uncheck all temps that read 0°C, 127°C or -1°C. These are values the monitoring chips give when no sensor is connected. When you uncheck them they are no longer displayed.

The Temp1: 36°C with the OK sign before it is probably your HD, as they usually have only one temp sensor. Click twice (not double click, but two single clicks) on it's name in the Configure pop-up to change it's name.

Close the Configure pop-up. Go to the Charts tab and check the three temps we haven't looked at yet. Then start a program that puts a heavy load on the CPU, e.g. CPUburn. The temp that rises fastest is the CPU temp.

The other two can be anything from the following list:
Socket; PWM; "Northbridge"; System; Case.

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:55 pm

Thanks Tibors, that makes perfect sense! I appreciate the help. :D