Purchasing soon, Sanity check & Advice needed ;)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:13 pm

Mertz -- Looks fine. 8)

You'll want to suspend the Samsung drive for sure.

Mertz

Post by Mertz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:30 pm

MikeC wrote:Mertz -- Looks fine. 8)

You'll want to suspend the Samsung drive for sure.
Yeah I was planning that 8) ... as mentioned in first post with the same method burcakb used in his Thor's Hammer.

OT: MikeC check your email. ;)

Mertz

Post by Mertz » Wed May 11, 2005 7:29 am

I have finally got pretty much everything ready, checked out all the suppliers and so on... given a few parts a bit more thought... this should be the final setup (external components will prolly change though).

A64 3200+ Winchester (or Venice) @ 2.4GHz w/ XP-90 & Nexus 92mm
DFI NF4 SLI-DR /w mangled NB47-J
Leadtek 6800 GT @ Ultra Speeds w/ VF700CU w/ Nexus 80mm
2x512MB OCZ Rev2
WD Raptor 74GB
Samsung Spinpoint 250GB
Antec SLK3000B w/ AcoustiPack w/ 2x Nexus 120mm w/ EAR grommets
S12 Seasonic 430W
NEC ND-3540 or BenQ DW1620A Pro
NEC Floppy
M-Audio Revolution71 (also been considering Audigy2&4)
Mcubed T-Balancer XL

If TFT: Viewsonic VP191
If CRT: Samsung 19" 959NF

Misc Components:
Razer Diamondback Plasma
Q-Pad (Mid-size)
Headset: Plantronics GameCom Pro 1 or Icemat Siberia
Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX 2.1 250D (?)

Arctic Silver 5
Already got a nice keyboard

Future Plans:
Adding the following:
Leadtek 6800 GT @ Ultra Speeds w/ NV 5 (if/when felt needed).
Possibly adding another HDD.
----
HDD modding same as burcakb did with his Thor's Hammer.

I'll be getting the Venice if it is available by the time that all the other products have arrived (Im getting the processor at a local store).

A few details can still be changed if someone gives me a good reason for this (those that Im getting localy and not ordering) so feel free to post any that type of advice as well but this is what I'll be getting now. ;)

I'll be getting the pre-cut AcoustiPack for a 3700BQE. That along with those EAR grommets will hopefully make a difference. I assume that the EAR grommets are only to be used on the case fans?

As shown above, I'll be switching the fan on the VF700CU for a Nexus 80mm. This should be enough right ? Even for a overclocked 6800 GT. Or would a Panaflo be wiser?

Would a T-Balancer fan controller be a good choice here? Uncertain exacly how I should use it. Like where to place the thermal sensors and so on. Also which "add-ons" to get. And there's a Digital and Analog version of the T-Balancer from what I see... just really uncertain when it comes to a fan controller. ;)

Another thing that Im really uncertain about are the external components but these will be bought later and won't delay my construction of the PC. :)
So if anyone here is a sound expert or extremly knowledgable about gaming mice&pads please let me hear your thoughts. ^^

My room is rather small so any surround system wouldn't work well here. I think that those 2 Creative speakers should do well enough. Also considering using headset for movies and such as well...

I prioritize movies for sound and then mouse&pad would be FPS gaming (like CS or CoD).

The CRT vs TFT is a really hard choice for me, it's leaning towards TFT (somehow I think I'd prefer one) but gaming performance still worry me. Hopefully that new Viewsonic TFT does the job. If you got a better recommendation (either TFT or CRT) please let me know. ^^

Comments on choice of DVD-burner ?

Please don't flame me for taking so long to buy. :P

THNX for reading. :D