IMPORTANT... XP-90 thermal paste question?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TittyTangler

IMPORTANT... XP-90 thermal paste question?

Post by TittyTangler » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:28 pm

I'll explain my problem later... I had to install my xp 90 today because of what I believe to be overheating problems...

The base of the XP 90 is rectangular while the CPU is square. My question is, do I have to apply thermal paste to the entire base of the xp 90 or just the portion in contact with the CPU?

And also, is it ok to mix thermal pastes? I had enough arctic silver to cover my CPU, now I have the TP that came with my xp90, is it ok to mix them?

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:34 pm

There is no need to spread thermal grease on the XP-90. Just spread a very small amount on the processor and you will be fine.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:36 pm

It is not OK to mix them, especially those two. Please read the instructions at the Artic Silver website.

In general (but please read the instructions) you coat the entire heatsink with the paste and then wipe it ALL OFF. This fills the microscopic scratches in the heatsink. Then you apply a small dab on the middle of the CPU.

The instructions vary a bit depending on which Artic Silver paste you use, and which CPU you have, so read the instructions.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:46 pm

Titty,

You should read all of the installation instructions from thermalright and the intructions at the as5 site. They will tell you to put just a small amout the size of a bb in the middle of the cpu. Don't mix materials. That's crazy. And use ar5. Clean both surfaces with some alcohol first just to make sure you don't have any oil from your hands or from the manufacturing process on the surfaces. The xp-90 is kind of tricky because you can't install it straight on, you need to clip one side on first and then the other. Make a practice run first with or w/o the ar5. - FG

Mertz

Post by Mertz » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:49 pm

m0002a wrote: The instructions vary a bit depending on which Artic Silver paste you use, and which CPU you have, so read the instructions.
What about XP-120 on a 3200+ Winchester while using Arctic Silver 5 (I think that's the "best" one?) ? ;)

TittyTangler

Post by TittyTangler » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:06 pm

frankgehry wrote:Titty,

You should read all of the installation instructions from thermalright and the intructions at the as5 site. They will tell you to put just a small amout the size of a bb in the middle of the cpu. Don't mix materials. That's crazy. And use ar5. Clean both surfaces with some alcohol first just to make sure you don't have any oil from your hands or from the manufacturing process on the surfaces. The xp-90 is kind of tricky because you can't install it straight on, you need to clip one side on first and then the other. Make a practice run first with or w/o the ar5. - FG
Also thanks to M0002a for quick response...

Damn I did it all wrong :(... I didn't mix at least :D but I covered the entire cpu with paste and I didn't clean either with alcohol :(

I think my CPU was overheating... it shut off consistantly after 15 - 20 minutes of use... Luckily I had the xp90 already, I went out and bought a fan, damn fry's selection sucks, I'll order one today... but I just wanted to get it on to work...

After I installed it is when I came here to ask... so I had to make is short but sweet coz I wasn't sure if it would turn off again...

Seems to be doing ok, 51 minutes now at 44 Degrees Cel. up to 46... (112-115F)

thanks for the quick responses :D

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:39 pm

Mertz wrote:What about XP-120 on a 3200+ Winchester while using Arctic Silver 5 (I think that's the "best" one?) ? ;)
You have to read the directions on the website regardless of which paste or CPU you use.

Some people prefer Artic Silver Ceramique instead of AS5 becasue it flows a bit easier. Both work well.

ChemGeek

Post by ChemGeek » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:06 pm

Be careful with the paste on the CPU becuase the XP-90 sits oddly in my socket and it slides around during install. I pul a drop on the CPU during install and the XP-90 went all over during install due to the clips being hard to get to.