HTPC for playing videogames and such

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Albatross

HTPC for playing videogames and such

Post by Albatross » Sun May 01, 2005 10:56 am

First post! Been browsing this site for a good 2 years now, but have never felt the need to register until now... Anyway!

I still love the old console games way more than I do the PC games, but I've either sold or broken my consoles, so thats why I feel like doing this build. I'm going to build a HTPC which will mainly be used for emulating consoles like SNES, N64 and PSX. I already have a home theatre system, so it doesnt need any VIVO cards or such. I'd like the system to be within a cost of $1000, as I will probably not use it every day. It doesnt need to be dead silent, but the closer the better.

The system in planning thus far:

Silverstone LC-04
It looks nice, and it can take a ATX board. Also no 60mm fans, so less chance of whine I figure. The lack of floppy slot doesnt matter much, since I'll be using a dvd or LAN for transfering stuff. A USB floppy would do as well.

AMD Sempron 2800+
The system doesnt need more power than this I reckon. In my mind it produces less heat than any other cpu of similar power as well. Also has a nice pricetag.

Kingmax 512MB RAM
I'm currently using this in my desktop, and while it's not the fastest around, it's worked flawless for me. Not sure whether to go for 333 or 400mhz however, but the pricedifference is marginal so I'll probably go for 400mhz.

Powercolor Radeon 9250
It's passively cooled, and should be ok for playing emulator games. If there's performance issues I could get a 9600 instead, seeing as they are also available with passive cooling.

Sony DWD23AB2
I wont really have a need for a DVD-burner... but they cost nothing these days so.. Unsure about the noise from the unit, but with Nero Drivespeed I'm sure it wont be too bad..

Samsung Spinpoint P80S 160GB
Will probably need far from this amount of diskspace, but seeing as it costs virtually nothing these days, and that the LC-04 can only hold one disk I'm leaning towards this.

Asus K8V-X
This board has all features I need, and it's cheap. The optional SPDIF bracket makes it easy to plug into my reciever using only one cable. It also has Wake on USB so I'm hoping I can use a pair of Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 to wake the system up :D

Fans
I'm not sure whether to get a Papst or a Nexus as exhaust fan. I dont think the above components would produce such an amount of heat that a Papst would be necessary.

Mouse and Keyboard
I'll probably just use whatever I have lying around, maybe the MX700 set I'm using right now in case I upgrade the desktop pc with a desktop MX 3100. I'll have no real use for a keyboard once into the system, since it will be used for gaming with gamepads.

As you can see I've not mentioned a CPU fan, because I'd like someone to enlighten me whether it'd be possible to run this CPU passively or not. It'd be nice to smack a XP-120 on and undervolt the CPU, but seeing as the case wont have great airflow I'm not really sure this would work out. The alternative is a Zalman CNPS7700B-AICu, which shouldnt be too noisy.

All input on the above is appreciated before I place an order. Thanks in advance. :)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Re: HTPC for playing videogames and such

Post by Tibors » Sun May 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Albatross wrote:Samsung Spinpoint P80S 160GB
Will probably need far from this amount of diskspace, but seeing as it costs virtually nothing these days, and that the LC-04 can only hold one disk I'm leaning towards this.
Since you say you don't need that much space: Have you thought about a notebook HD? You can get 60GB notebook HD's for about the same price as that Spinpoint. A notebook HD will be more quiet and easier to suspend.
Albatross wrote:Fans
I'm not sure whether to get a Papst or a Nexus as exhaust fan. I dont think the above components would produce such an amount of heat that a Papst would be necessary.
I don't like the Papst 80mm fans I have. They click. My Nexus fans are a lot more quiet.

Welcome to SPCR

Albatross

Post by Albatross » Mon May 02, 2005 10:08 am

Dont know how I'd be able to suspend a drive very good inside the LC-04... and I think I'll need at least 100gigs of space, and then the prices start shooting upwards.

Do you think the Nexus will be enough for the heat produced? I'd still like some input as to if it'd be possible to run the CPU fanless. Suppose I could always get a Nexus 120mm and let it sit on the XP-120 and control it with Speedfan or something...

Albatross

Post by Albatross » Tue May 03, 2005 12:27 pm

I've tried to look at other various fans, and it seems ADDA fans are quite easy to get in Sweden. However I cant find any good info here, or elsewhere either for that matter, how they compare to Nexus and Papst etc.

According to the retailer GTEK the ADDA AD1212DX-A73GL version L1 is supposed to be 16dbA and push almost 39cfm... If thats so, then thats very good, but I find it hard to believe....
Anyone had any experience with the ADDA's?