CPU Cooling Noise

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TwoDude

CPU Cooling Noise

Post by TwoDude » Tue May 10, 2005 5:11 am

I posted this in the NewComers Brieifing Room first, but I think it probably belongs here. Thanks in advance for any advice I may receive.

I want to reduce the CPU cooling noise from three computers:

Two eMachines S2482. Athlon XP Socket A on eMachines' motherboard L7VMM2. These have a tight fit against the power supply, only about 12MM clearance, so size is a problem.

One Pentium 4 on a Soyo Dragon 2 Platinum Edition (SY-P4I875P) motherboard in a big Antec case. About 55MM clearance against the power supply.

Noise reduction is my main priority, especially on the P4 machine, which I use for music recording. Ideally I'd like them all to be silent, but I don't want to fry the CPUs either. I'm willing to spend more on the P4 machine, but would like to keep the price down on the two eMachines.

Again, thanks for any advice.

kesv

Re: CPU Cooling Noise

Post by kesv » Fri May 13, 2005 5:34 am

TwoDude wrote:Noise reduction is my main priority, especially on the P4 machine, which I use for music recording. Ideally I'd like them all to be silent, but I don't want to fry the CPUs either. I'm willing to spend more on the P4 machine, but would like to keep the price down on the two eMachines.
You don't give much detail on the systems.
Like:
* how hot are those CPUs running at the moment
* what other noise sources are in the systems
* what kind of heatsinks are installed

It could be that you only need a fan swap. A better fan with a fanmate to lower the voltage could do the job. Especially on those eMachines that you didn't want to spend too much on. It depends on how hot the CPUs are running now. If they are running hot, a simple casemod to give them more air could do the trick and still allow new fans with lower voltage.

For the P4, look at the recommended heatsinks and see if some of the options there meet your requirements. Since you want to quiet that system over all others, looking at all components and assessing their loudness is in order. That means also looking at the PSU, case fans and harddisk(s).

EDIT:
Also if you can, providing some pictures of your systems always helps. I have never seen any of those eMachines up close so trying to recommend some action for them is hard.