I'm new, need some advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

.weir

I'm new, need some advice

Post by .weir » Tue May 10, 2005 7:35 pm

Hi everyone, my first port, but I've been trolling for a while. Here's the deal, I don't think I'm as hardcore as most of you, but I'd like to have a generally quiet system, but still supply good cooling, much like everyone else.

Right now I'm running

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (bought it for the passive heatsink)
Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.4GHz (12x200MHz)
Coolermaster Jet 7+ heatsink with Vantec Stealth 80mm fan (bought this before I knew much of anything, the Vantec flan is much better than the stupid blower that comes on it though, and much quieter)
2x512MB Samsung DDR PC3200
Unknow Video card (I sent away a 9600 Pro, it'll be back on Friday, but they don't have any 9600 Pro's anymore, so I'm getting something else)
Zalman VF700-AlCu (the weight of the copper one scared me)
Sony DRU710A 16x DVD+/-RW DL
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB (I know, don't make fun, it's loud when seeking, at least it's suspended)
Antec 350W SmartPower (quiet enough for me)
Antec SLK2650BQE (this is where my questions really come in)

So here's my questions. The system currently is only using the Vantec fan on the cpu, and the 120mm Antec fan that came with the case, the airflow of the 120mm is the most annoying part. I have a spare Antec pro 80mm fan I plan on using for my 'project' this weekend, hopefully you folks can help.

1) I see most of you take your fan grills off. Obviously this improves ariflow, but will cuting them off reduce turbulance enough to notice? I'm just concernced about taking everything apart and find me efforts pointless. Also, if I open the front grill behind the bezel, I know the plastic mount is fast and easy, but I'm sure not the queitest way to mount it, any suggestions?
2) I plan on 7Ving the 2 Antec fans (intake and exhaust). I'm aware that there are possible 'consqequences' in this. Is it possible that I could damage my PSU with the returning current? Would I better off to just buy a fan controller or some sort?
3) What all should be sealed off as far as to direct airflow? I've closed all the front airways except the locations in front of the intake fan (well where it will be this weekend) and over the hard drive. Are the side panel intake ducts that go to the cpu useful? Or should I close it off? And should the back pci slot under the video card be removed to allow the air from the video card out? I might as well, someone suggested it.

As you can see I have a lot of questions and a lot to learn. I'd like to purchase some good fans like some Yate Loons, but money is a prob right now, so I'm working with what I got, I might be able to pring for a fan controller and that's it. Anyway, I'd love your help, I plan on chopping this thing to peices on Saturday, so feel free to give me some advice.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue May 10, 2005 8:10 pm

You have been lurking. Trolling is when someone posts extremely inflammatory statements in order to start an argument.

1. I would not agree that "most" people do it, but I don’t know for sure. It depends on the case, since some cases have more obstructive fan grills than others. Some of the newer honeycomb grills are less restrictive than grills previously used.

2. Some say it is no problem if used in moderation, but I have heard so many different opinions on this that I would prefer to hear from the engineer who designed the PSU in question. It probably would be "safer" to get a Fanmate or fan controller.

3. The side vents will usually benefit the CPU at the expense of air inflow on the front which benefits the hard drives. But it is always hard to predict these things with certainty, so some experimentation may be needed. Same applies to opening a PCI slot for the video.

.weir

Post by .weir » Wed May 11, 2005 4:46 am

Well I typed that post at like 1am, and notcied a few mistakes word wise etc, but you guys get my point.

So as far as the grills, since I have the honeycomb style, maybe it isn't worth cutting them out? I'd really rather not if I don't have to. And the 7V thing seems to be the same thing I hear everywhere, so say do it, others say don't, I think I may just play it safe and buy the fan controller.

Shriek

Re: I'm new, need some advice

Post by Shriek » Wed May 11, 2005 6:11 am

I'm not sure I'm qualified to do this, but here goes:
Welcome to SPCR!
.weir wrote:I don't think I'm as hardcore as most of you, but I'd like to have a generally quiet system, but still supply good cooling, much like everyone else.
You might be surprised. Most of the lurkers on this site have a very similar goal, I think. It's just the hardcore ones that get the attention :lol:
1) I see most of you take your fan grills off. Obviously this improves ariflow, but will cuting them off reduce turbulance enough to notice? I'm just concernced about taking everything apart and find me efforts pointless.
It's so heavily advocated because there's so little reason not to do it. If you're using snips (not a dremel) and you're careful, there's no reason you can't take out a grill without having to take much apart. That said, if your rear grill looks like the pic, you're not getting much restriction from an airflow respect, so you may want to leave it. The front grill, though, hidden behind the bezel, has no reason to exist. Start your cutting there, and see if you're comfortable with it.
Also, if I open the front grill behind the bezel, I know the plastic mount is fast and easy, but I'm sure not the queitest way to mount it, any suggestions?
Zip ties--the ultimate in fan mount flexibility (you probably don't have to kill the mount if you take out the grill, unless it's restricting air or rattling).
2) I plan on 7Ving the 2 Antec fans (intake and exhaust). I'm aware that there are possible 'consqequences' in this. Is it possible that I could damage my PSU with the returning current? Would I better off to just buy a fan controller or some sort?
If you have the temperature headroom, try 5V. No PSU concerns with that. Have you tried SpeedFan?

.weir

Post by .weir » Wed May 11, 2005 11:07 am

Well I found a few solutions, thanks guys. I'll prob rip out the front grill this weekend when i do some cable management etc. I think I'm gonna swap my round IDE cables for some neatly placed ribbons, and the front plastic cage is both rattling and restricting airflow, so zip ties sound like they may be the best solution. I bought a pretty basic Enermax 3.5" fan controller, does the job just fine, and I didn't have to 7V anything (5V was too slow, temps went higher than I'd like).

Anyway, I'll post back on Saturday night and let you know how the little project went.