(yet another) request for new system advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

swong

(yet another) request for new system advice

Post by swong » Wed May 11, 2005 5:32 am

Hi everybody, I've been reading articles and posts on this site for a while now, but havent posted anything since I dont have a silent computer.

That's about to change though, as I'm planning on building a new rig quite soon. I've read most of what this site has to offer and I've decided on the components and parts based on what I've read here. Also, I'm in Australia so what parts I have access to is more limited than what is available in the US. (Also limited to budget lol)

Case: Silverstone TJ06
CPU: AMD Athlon64 San Diego 3700 or Venice 3500
Motherboard: ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
RAM: 1Gb Corsair dual channel
HD: 2x maxtor diamondmax 300gb 16mb
Video: Leadtek winfast 6800gt
Optical: DVD Burner
sound: audigy 2 value
power supply: seasonic s12 430w (If not available then antec TP2 430w)

Cooling:
thermalright xp90 (Might not be available)
VF700 for video card
Zalman zm-mfc1 multi fan controller to control chipset and case fans

Could you guys please look over these parts and offer some advice.
Also, I have a few questions:
1. Has anybody ever done any sort of HD suspension with this case?
2. Would the case with side panel window be for some reason louder than the one without?
3.I might not be able to find an xp90, so what other heatsink is recommended?
4. I might not be able to find a s12 PS, would the antec TP2 be ok?
5. Should I replace the case 80mm fan with a quieter one or is undervolting the 80mm fan enough?

Thanks in advance for any replies, guys. I look forward to joining the silent pc community. :D

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed May 11, 2005 8:00 am

1) I have not, but were I to do so, I'd probably try to use the 5.25" bays for that.

2) No comment, I've never directly compared windows vs non windows.

3 & 4) http://www.silentpcreview.com/section10.html. The TP2 has not been reviewed, so I'd be skeptical of that. My initial guess would be that it's similar to other Antec PSUs. Quiet compared to other PSUs, but not the quietest out there.

5) Err, the SPCR article on that case suggests that you don't need the 80mm fan at all.