Hardware upgrades

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

M4dSc1ent1st

Hardware upgrades

Post by M4dSc1ent1st » Wed May 11, 2005 6:54 am

Right, 3rd post or somehing now i think - wahoo :)

ok, i am currently running this 'rig':

Athlon 2400XP
MSI KT6V
64Mb Radeon 8500LE (saphire)
2*256 PC2100 RAM (DDR?)
SB Audigy S/C
WD 80Gb 7200rpm 2Mb Cache
Arctic Cooling TC2 HSF
19" LG Flatron

Im thinking of upgrading. I will use the computer for gaming and general use, no prgramming or encoding.

So i was thinking that AMD would be a better way of going. s939 is the standard now (i believe, esp in comparison to sktA).

How do peeps regard PCI-e or SLI?

Can someone recommend a good rig?? I am completely lost.

Also, the TR XP-90/120s with a undervolted fan better than the Zalman 7000Cu widgit?

oh - and what about the Chirftec BX cases? cr*p or ok . I would like a case with a door - and i dont like the Antec 3000BLK etc :(

Thermaltake Tsunami anygood?

((Apologies for the missmash of random q's in there!))

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Wed May 11, 2005 7:39 am

Everyday several people ask the exact same question. Look at some of the recent builds in the gallery. Look an GUNNER's - http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=21871
He has some nice pictures and explains why he made the decisions he made.

Better to get an xp-90 or xp-120 than a zalman. You can put different fans on the xp's a lot easier.

I know if I pick a case out of the hundreds of cases out there you won't like it so I'm not going to try. How about the new antecs though or read the list of recommended cases. What's wrong with the antec 3000b? Do you want black, a window, aluminum, big, small?

You will be encouraged to get a seasonic s12 and a samsung hard drive. What kind of fans are you going to get? - nexus?

I'm not an amd person so someone else will have to help with the mb and memory unless you see what people are buying in the gallery. Most every system recommendation will have a

AMD 64 3500 winchester
ASUS A8N-SLI
Corsair 2x512 DDR400
seasonic s12, (antec phantom?)
samsung hard drive,
antec 3000b - Just get a 3000b - you will grow to like it, don't worry.
xp-90 or xp-120 or zalman,
nexus fans
graphics card?

What would you be willing to change from your current setup? Think about this setup and look in the gallery for already built systems like ANDREWD's.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=20772 You can read the comments and see what they might have done different. Fanless or psu w/fan?