water cooling - the ultimate solution? please advise

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jjm052

water cooling - the ultimate solution? please advise

Post by jjm052 » Thu May 19, 2005 12:41 pm

Having bought an excellent but noisy media center 2005 cube pc (see sig) I'm now having to decide what silent pc set up will give me the best results, within a reasonable budget.
I had previously made my mind up on making the following changes:
Case: Acousticase 6607b
PSU: Seasonic S12 430
HSF: xp 120 with Nexus 120mm
Case fans: 2 x 120mm nexus with fan controller
And also suspend the HDD

However I've seen a reasonably priced Zalman reserator on ebay and think the following would be a better solution:
case: Antec SLK3000B
PSU: Seasonic S12 430
CPU/GPU Cooling: Reserator water cooler
I nexus 120mm intake case fan (for suspended HDD)

This way the GPU is quietly cooled and I have two less fans, it would cost a bit more but I'm thinking it'b be worth it.

Please give me your thoughts on which set uo and why cos I'm really struggling to make my mind up. Is water cooling alot of hassle or risky/messy/dangerous? are there better water coolers than the reserator?

Thanks guys
James

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu May 19, 2005 3:27 pm

If you're OK with the external tower (assuming this may go in a living area), I'd go for the Resarator. You could even try withoutout the front fan and see how HD temps go and as long as the PSU fan doesn't ramp up it's all good.

EDIT: The above comments were made assuming you get the VGA block for the Resarator too.