Reducing vibration noise from Nexus XP-3200 CPU fan

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dvasco

Reducing vibration noise from Nexus XP-3200 CPU fan

Post by dvasco » Wed May 25, 2005 3:10 pm

Hello,
I have vibration from my Nexus XP-3200 CPU fan. Nexus is supposed to a very quiet fan. Therefore I need something that will reduce this vibration noise or upgrade the fan or buy a different CPU heatsink and fan. See http://www.nexustek.nl/axp3200.htm for my heatsink. If I use an 80mm fan or larger I will have to install an adapter, if I can find one. If I use a different heatsink, it would probably be a Thermalright SI-97. That would mean spending a lot of extra money. I am wondering if the computer feet at www.quietpcusa.com are good enough and which ones.

kesv

Re: Reducing vibration noise from Nexus XP-3200 CPU fan

Post by kesv » Thu May 26, 2005 9:08 am

dvasco wrote:Hello,
I have vibration from my Nexus XP-3200 CPU fan. Nexus is supposed to a very quiet fan. Therefore I need something that will reduce this vibration noise or upgrade the fan or buy a different CPU heatsink and fan.
The problem with that particular Nexus is that it uses a 70mm fan. So there is a limited supply of possible replacements. Also I don't remember ever seeing an adapter from 70mm to 80mm although I guess one could exist.

What I did on my heatsink, was to get an adapter from 60mm to 80mm and a suitable 2000rpm fan. It's worked great overall.

Alternatively you could try to isolate the fan from the heatsink. Still if you have vibration, the problem is with the fan, so a replacement would be best.