Upgrading parts.... (HeatSink, PSU, and Case)..... Maybe....

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ajdedo

Upgrading parts.... (HeatSink, PSU, and Case)..... Maybe....

Post by ajdedo » Sun May 29, 2005 1:12 am

Hi,

I'm upgrading my system, and this time i'd like it to be as silent as possible. I live in a very quiet neighborhood, and even the walls in my house are thin, so sound is fairly important.... :)

I just have a couple questions about a PSU, Heatsink, and Case.....

1) I have an Antec P160 case. And it's described as 'whisper-quiet'. Is that true ??? And if not, would replacing that case make much difference regarding sound ???

2) I just put in a Prescott 3.2 Ghz socket 478, and I think I need a new Heatsink. I read that the Thermalright XP-120 is good, but also the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7. Are either my best choice ? Or should I try something different..... ???

3) My computer came with an L&C B400 PSU. I've never heard of this PSU before. I think this is a 380 or 400W PSU, but i'm not sure if it will 'Do the job'..... Though it is, fairly quiet, but I'm sure there are better..... As for power, I plan on having 3 or 4 Hard Drives, and low end MSI FX5200 video card, 2 x 512 Corsair RAM, DVD burner, and of course, the Prescott 3.2 CPU. Would the Antec Fanless PSU be suitable, is it worth it to change ??? Would a Seasonic also be worth it ??? Or is the one I have adequate ? Thanks a lot :-)

Thanks for any help :-)

matva

Post by matva » Tue May 31, 2005 5:55 am

No Posts? What's going on with these forums.
ajdedo, i am no expert, but i think you're okay with your case.

From reading these forums and this review, it would appear that the XP-120 is a good choice.

As for a PSU, the idea of a fanless PSU seems great to me, but i have read about some problems with the Phantom. Don't know about the Seasonic. Personally, i would go for reliability over anything.

I would definitely read this page before you make your decision.

Maybe someone more qualified in the way of silencing can post and suggest further.

ajdedo

Post by ajdedo » Tue May 31, 2005 4:52 pm

Hey Matva, Thanks for the reply.... :-)

I was feeling a bit disappointed that no one responded, I thought maybe my questions were a bit too 'nieve'.....

So I broke them up and posted them seperately in to individual forums :-)

I got a bit more response, especially with the xp-120 and some good fans..... Now i'm working on my PSU..... but i'll check out your link first,

matva

Post by matva » Tue May 31, 2005 5:17 pm

No problem, let us know how it goes.