Are Dell Dimension desktops SP-friendly?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

plasticbag

Are Dell Dimension desktops SP-friendly?

Post by plasticbag » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:13 am

Hi I am new to this forum and am hoping that some friendly soul can help me with a buying decision.
I have been running a dual cpu system for some years but the motherboard gave up the other evening. Most of the parts are fairly old except for the HDDs and LCD monitor. I think I've had enough of building my own systems. I am keen on buying a brand name system like Dell, IBM, HP or Sony and was hoping to get one that would not get as hot and noisy as my old system.
I saw a nice Sony Vaio RA model with liquid cooling but it's not officially backed by Sony here.
Other than that only the Dell Dimension 9100 has interested me. Dell are constantly giving discounts and free upgrades to their listed prices and I am sure that t here is a catch. However, their current offer of cash off and a free upgrade from P4 530 to PD 820 is very attractive.
Could I ask for comments on this model and its heat and noise levels.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:24 am

If you want low heat (and therefore less noise), then you might want to check out a PC with an AMD64 chip running with Cool and Quiet.

HP/Compaq make desktops with AMD chips. On the model below, you can customize the PC with a variety of AMD CPU's and other features:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm ... 57124.html

You can also find HP/Compaq desktops with AMD chips pre-configured at big box retailers like Best Buy, CompUSA, or internet retailers (not sure which country you live in).

Looks like there are some good deals right now on these machines, but if you want a dual core AMD64, they will probably be available in a couple of months or maybe even sooner.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:14 am

All Dells based on Intel Prescott D/E processors are LOUD.