All my work is for naught... New noisy component

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Steve Mac

All my work is for naught... New noisy component

Post by Steve Mac » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:17 pm

Hi All,

Thanks to your many tips, I managed to quiet my Antec 1030 down very significantly. Some of the things I did:

Put a Panny 1A on my Alpha 8045
Sub a Panny 1A in my PS (don't tell Antec!) :oops:
Pull out the Antec fans and sub them with Pannys on a 5V fanbus
Put a passive HS on my ATI All-In-Wonder 8500
Replace the 8500 with an ATI 9800 from HIS (with the big, sorta quiet HS)
Drop the 80GB Cuda IV and the 40 GB Spinpoint onto sorbothane strips on the bottom of the case.

All of these things (except for the 9800 upgrade) had the effect of making a very quiet, but not silent computer. The noise level was low enough to be mostly unnoticeable.

Well, this beast lives in the family room. A few months ago we bought a new HD DLP Mitsubishi and we are renting a Moxi cable box from the local cable company. You know what's coming next if you are familiar with these components... The Mitsu has a rather noisy fan that operates at full speed when on and at low speed when off (why?). But the kicker is the Moxi box. I've read that these are basically X86 computers running on Linux, but someone apparently didn't consider that the noise from that computer (that is on 24/7) might be bothersome to some. If it were mine, I'd just open it up and quiet it down, but it's not, it's rented. Now that I've completed my rant, it's your turn. Does anybody have any ideas about how I might quiet this thing down short of unplugging it? (It takes 2-3 minutes to reboot)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Remember, bonus points will be awarded for dazzling suggestions. But like the Drew Carey show, the points don't count. :D