Recommend a Silent Mouse and Keyboard?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:23 am

Tephras wrote:Is there anybody that knows of a quiet mini-keyboard? That is, a keyboard without a numpad and with a length of about 30cm/12" or 35cm/14".
Right now I'm using a Viewsonic KU-201. It has a numpad but it has the arrow keys integrated into the side like laptop keyboards. It's also just as silent.

However... I want a mini one too now (the way my desk is set up, even my current keyboard is too wide)

I'm thinking about buying another. One of these Orteks maybe.

Either:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 020&depa=0

Or
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 025&depa=0

The the MCK-88 (the latter) "looks" quieter. But I'm not sure. I've never tried them firsthand.

If anybody has tried either the Ortek MCK-88 or the MCK-91, how do they compare to laptop keyboards... or the Viewsonic KU-201?

tropikhajma

Re: Recommend a Silent Mouse and Keyboard?

Post by tropikhajma » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:29 am

madfirestorm wrote:I work late at night and get sick of the mouse clicking and keyboard tapping but can't seem to locate a silent mouse or keyboard.

Can anyone help?
I have solved the mouse clicks by tuning of the microswitches. Noiseless.
See
http://www.pcsvet.net/web/view.php?cisl ... 2004102001

It's in czech only, but the pics may give you the idea.

prof99

Post by prof99 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:47 pm

That looks like an interesting article...but it's hard to comprehend without a translation. Anyone up to the task of putting (part of) it in English?

tropikhajma

Post by tropikhajma » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:56 pm

The thing is to remove the cover of the microswitch.
Then rotate the cover by 180 degrees
then put the cover back
The button then pushes to point 2 instead of point 1 and thats the key.
Then you need to return the switches to the circuit board, but also turned by 180 degrees (to match the switch button with mouse cover button).
The electric circuit is corrected by the wire connections.
Be careful with the middle button, because rolling the wheel can push the button then - better to leave it noisy.
It probably wont work with every mice.

chikin03

Microswitch

Post by chikin03 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:37 pm

I am very interested in this microswitch idea. I've been looking all over for a quiet mouse as well, as I'm sure many other people are too.

While the microswitch may make a difference, another crucial factor is the resonation as the button is fully depressed (against the body of the mouse). I think here, some sort of felt or rubber would help a lot. If I am successful with a cheap mouse, I will try it on my Intellimouse.

Please post a translation of your site, if you have time.

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:43 pm

As a follow-up to my post a couple messages up, I ended up getting the Ortek MCK-88. I'm quite pleased with it. It's pretty quiet (just as quiet as my Viewsonic KU-210, though a different kind of noise). It feels solid still. I'd recommend it to anybody looking for a quiet mini keyboard.

Talz

Post by Talz » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:44 am

FYI on the diNovo, Logitech has released a fast rf version bundled with a wireless notebook mouse. It's retailing for $150, so you can combine it with an MX1000 mouse for a very nice, if costly set. It's just a shame Logitech can't do a decent job on the software that would put their great hardware over the top.

fraz

Post by fraz » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:35 pm

Regard the PSK-5000:

Does anyone know where I can get one in Austraila, or shiped to Australia? I wrote to greenlaptop.com but they never replied. Google didn't help much.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:36 am

fraz wrote:Regard the PSK-5000:

Does anyone know where I can get one in Austraila, or shiped to Australia? I wrote to greenlaptop.com but they never replied. Google didn't help much.
ExcaliberPC carries them. Give them a holler and see if they'll ship to the other side of the planet.

smithereens

quiet keyboard - dynamat or spray equivalent

Post by smithereens » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:19 pm

dynamat is a thin, but dense layer of foam that is sticky on one side and is used to deaden road noise in vehicles. A spray equivalent (don't remember the brand name(s)) could be used on the inside of a keyboard and mouse housing (don't spray over the screw holes or electronics!) and this would probably be the cheapest and most effective way to deaden the noise, though I haven't tried it myself.

jsathomson

An Excellent Quite Keyboard! BENQ x120 Internet Keyboard

Post by jsathomson » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:15 pm

Benq (www.benq.com) makes a very quite keyboard. For some odd reason all other quiet keyboards (notebook style keys, rubber dome keys) are not very comfortable to use.

The Benq x120 is the most comfortable, ergonomic and quiet keyboard I've found. It's only about a half inch thick so your hands don't have to arch up to us it.

I also appreciate the fact that it uses the standard IBM AT style key layout which seems to be what you find in most office settings. Which means you won't have to retrain yourself where the keys are around the "Enter" key.

a_terrible_kite

Post by a_terrible_kite » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:51 am

and here's one that's not ugly/gaudy:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 011&depa=0
it's dead quiet :)

Stalker

Post by Stalker » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:55 am

In my quest for a silent mouse, which just started a few minutes ago as I browsed this forum, I discovered that replacing the microswitches in the mouse with leaf switches is probably the best solution.

A google on the subject of silencing microswitches (the source of the clicking in your mouse buttons) returns a few results that show people using leaf switches in various button pushing applications from Arcade machines to fancy joysticks.

Leaf switches appear to be available in different shapes and sizes and have different values for pressure required to activate etc etc which should allow a direct replacement into any optical mouse. I will get some old mice from around the place and try this before posting back some results.

Personally I think removing the source of the noise is a better path to follow than trying to dampen it down somehow.

tropikhajma

silent mouse

Post by tropikhajma » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:21 pm

Hello folks,
I've finally translated the article on silencing mice (rewritten in fact), check it here:
http://www.abclinuxu.cz/blog/hajma/2005/3/23/81023

Stalker

Post by Stalker » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:49 am

I haven't managed to get hold of any leaf switches yet, but I did dismantle a couple of mice today and removed the piece of metal which gives the scroll-wheel it's clicking noise while rotating. I now have a couple of smooth scrolling silent-wheeled mice. Much like the new MS mice... but cheaper.

tropikhajma

Post by tropikhajma » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:57 am

well, i don't mind the scrolling sound, perhaps your mouse is louder...
But I do hate the sharp "click". I just wish I had the idea some years ago, when I studied at a university and stayed up late working with pc disturbing my roommate (and vice versa - my roommate disturbing me).
Today was my first day with silenced Dell (Logitech) - not particularly happy with it as it became very sensitive, as the switch is of slightly different type and travels much shorter distance (and it's a bloody optical :roll:).
The 2 euro Genius is my favourite :D

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:45 pm

For all of you Logitech UltraX/PSK5000 fanatics:

I picked up a PSK5000 from Ralf the other day and honestly I wasn't impressed. Compared to the Kensington SlimType Keyboard, I'd fancy to say that the Kensington one is even quieter, if only marginally. In fact, I didn't find the PSK5000/UltraX to be any different from most laptop-style keyboards I've tried, save the diNovo.

I'd only recommend the UltraX/PSK5000 if you want a full sized keyboard layout.

rei

Post by rei » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:23 pm

i need something:

-ergo
-no f-lock key

-wireless optional

is there such a thing?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:12 pm

Logitech® Cordless Comfort Duo might be worth looking into.

fabre

Post by fabre » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the Saitek Gamer's Keyboard?

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/gamerskey.htm

The reviewer from 3dextreme says "The keys are extremely quiet"

I currently have a French UltraX (azerty) and need to change for an english keyboard (qwerty), unlike my previous job I now have an english keyboard at work and it's a pain to go from one to this other.

And with the UltraX harder than ever to get, EOL apparently.

illgibson

Compaq CPQ105KB

Post by illgibson » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:30 pm

Cross-posting this from one of the other threads, since this thread seems to have more activity...

I tried this one on a recommendation from vdorta:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... &pfp=srch1

I picked one up at CompUSA for $20, and it is definitely a lot quieter than the one I had. It is possible to type very quietly if you apply very little pressure. Even typing hard, it is more quiet than the one I had, though. I don't know how it compares against the PSK-5000, because I wasn't willing to buy one mail order for $40 to find out.

Best thing is that it is a completely standard layout - identical to the Dell wrongly named "QuietKey" that I use at work.

Only found a PS/2 version though.

Now if I could only find a way to silence the buttons on my MX510...

illgibson

Update on Compaq keyboard

Post by illgibson » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:52 pm

After using it for a bit, I noticed that certain of the longer keys, like "Backspace" and "Shift" had a louder than normal smacking sound when you hit them not exactly in the middle.

Happily, I found the source of the noise! If you pry off the key with a knife and look underneath, there is a metal post that smacks against the bottom of the keyboard when you first make contact with it. I found that if I removed that metal part, it doen't seem to affect the function of the keys, but it makes the key just as quiet as all of the others, regardless of where you strike it.

Update -- this doesn't work with the spacebar -- the metal post provides stability, and the spacebar becomes too wobbly... I'm thinking that perhaps if I apply some form of grease to the bottom of the metal pegs, it will reduce some of the noise. I'll update when I've tried it.

illgibson

Post by illgibson » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:48 am

I found if I wrapped a small amount of plumbers' tape around the two sides of the metal post that make contact with the little grey plastic slots on the keyboard bed, it reduced the initial "tick" when hitting the spacebar. Takes a bit of trial and error to get the right amount that doesn't make the spacebar stick down or feel too mushy.

robr

Post by robr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:28 am

a_terrible_kite wrote:and here's one that's not ugly/gaudy:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 011&depa=0
it's dead quiet :)
just how quiet is "dead quiet". i have sleeping wife syndrome. we had a baby, had to give up my office, it's now in the bedroom. i got thrown out this AM for clicking mouse. i get yelled at at night when she tries to sleep for clicking keyboard. i need SILENT.... preferably a standard 104 key layout i can put in my lap.

sounds like the real challange is going to be a silent mouse, i wasn't expecting that. i tried a touch pad but the tapping with my finger was as loud as a mouse click.

illgibson

Post by illgibson » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:18 am

Probably the only way you are going to get dead quiet is one of the rubberized keyboards. The one I have is still audible in the bedroom if you don't take care, and barely audible if you do.

robr

Post by robr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:49 am

illgibson wrote:Probably the only way you are going to get dead quiet is one of the rubberized keyboards. The one I have is still audible in the bedroom if you don't take care, and barely audible if you do.
I've never used a rubberized keyboard, can you still type quickly on them?

illgibson

Post by illgibson » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:59 am

Sorry -- I wasn't clear. I don't actually use a rubberized keyboard. I use the new Compaq keyboard, which is a standard keyboard.

I haven't really used a rubberized one other than just to try it in the store. I can confirm that they are dead silent, but someone else would have to answer the speed-typing quesiton.

robr

Post by robr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:30 am

i found a decent review here, it was a study done for keyboards in a court room. sounds like its worth the $30 to try it out.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/profil ... 0b38674ada

DG

Post by DG » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:53 pm

Anyone has any experience with this keyboard? It looks nice.
http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/pro ... ?pdtno=516

fraz

Re: An Excellent Quite Keyboard! BENQ x120 Internet Keyboard

Post by fraz » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:44 pm

jsathomson wrote: The Benq x120 is the most comfortable, ergonomic and quiet keyboard I've found. It's only about a half inch thick so your hands don't have to arch up to us it.

I also appreciate the fact that it uses the standard IBM AT style key layout which seems to be what you find in most office settings.
I can't see the x120 on the Australian Benq site. The closest seems to be the A122:
http://www.benq.com.au/HomeShowProduct.asp?prodID=309

There are several other keyboards listed with "unique BenQ X-Touch key cap technology" which apparently "provides the combination of comfortable typing with minimal noise in style"
http://www.benq.com.au/HomeProductList.asp?bc=6

Anyway. It seems very promising. I suspect it would be much easier to find than the PSK5000. And the AT keyboard layout is exactly what I want. Anyone tried one?

fraz[/url]