Recommend a Silent Mouse and Keyboard?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

markvbn

Re:

Post by markvbn » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:04 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
GamingGod wrote:lol omg, i swear u guys are gonna go deaf. It will never be quiet enough.
Nah, as you quiet one thing down, other noises become more noticeable. This has been mentioned here before by the same lawyer before, you might remember it. Otherwise, you could also check the previous thread.

Does anybody know how to quiet my heartbeat down? it's really starting to bug me. :wink:
lol. funniest post ever read in this forum. :D
Last edited by markvbn on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mehimu

Re: Recommend a Silent Mouse and Keyboard?

Post by mehimu » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Informative discussion.

mehimu

Post by mehimu » Wed May 27, 2015 7:21 pm

There are so many types of keyboard and mouse available in the online store , just choose one. Thanks.

mehimu

Post by mehimu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:41 pm

May try for a good branded mouse and keyboard

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:18 am

mehimu wrote:May try for a good branded mouse and keyboard
Is your one a question?

In case, what would you like to know?

MySeLf.PT

Post by MySeLf.PT » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:12 am

I have a Microsoft Sculpt (the one with split design).

It's very quiet in the night and very confortable.
About the mouse I can't really help you there because I game and I value the tactil feedback from the click. I've seen some mods arround though... Google "mouse silent mod". Its normally about using some kind of material between the button and the clicker but it removes feedback. Results in a " muchy" click.

If your priority is silence an oversized trackpad may be the only solution.

Good topic.

ThePrussianPrince

Post by ThePrussianPrince » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:12 pm

I've been hearing good things about wireless mice and keyboards recently, especially Logitech products.

They seem to have a Logitech unifying receiver that you plug into a USB port, and you only need 1 of those. Apparently, all your Logitech wireless products (keyboard + mice, not sure if anything else) will connect to it. You don't seem to need more than 1 receiver.

Now, I'm not gonna get any new mouse and keyboard right now (at least 98% sure) but I want to know if what I mentioned above actually works and doesn't have latency. People have told me that it's pretty much the same as wired mice/keyboard but I'm a bit skeptical. A Cherry MX Red Logitech keyboard that is wireless (and potentially with O-rings) would be ideal for me, I think, but I can't find something like that.

I like Red because it's the easiest one to press, though the keys are quite loud if bottoming out (difficult not to bottom out when typing or playing, but I'm trying to learn not to). I might be open to other keyboard switches, though probably not Blue or Black. Brown might be OK (haven't tried it), but I don't think I'd prefer it over Re.

Also, there probably are alternatives to the Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard setup, right? Surely other companies have something of equal or higher quality?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:20 am

ThePrussianPrince wrote:Also, there probably are alternatives to the Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard setup, right? Surely other companies have something of equal or higher quality?
Mainly Filco/Varmilo/Matias (just the keyboard).

dreamalittle

Post by dreamalittle » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:16 am

Recently I went on a long search to find a good quality silent membrane keyboard and now have three keyboards, gigabyte osmium mechanical cherry Browns (which I added orings to), apple wireless keyboard, and Logitech k740. None of these keyboards are perfect. I made a video which I hope the community here will find useful if you're in the same boat as me and find that the noisiest most disruptive part of your computing is the keyboard! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpYy5S_TMs

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:14 am

Logitech's new "Silent mice".

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:49 am

CA_Steve wrote:Logitech's new "Silent mice".
Thanks for the heads up: just ordered, I'll let you know next week (I hope).

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:09 pm

They aren't very big, are they?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:42 pm

Cistron wrote:They aren't very big, are they?
Seemingly no.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:56 am

Too bad it's only 1000 DPI, which can be slow for larger screen resolutions. OOTH this is typical of office mice.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:30 am

Ok, the M220's just arrived (I picked this because it was damned cheap on local Amazon, the larger M330 would have costed me twice).

First impressions: very small (probably too small for an average male hand), very light, cheaply built and offers a cheap feeling.

But it's noticeably quieter than any other mouse I've around (Func, Mionix, Thermalright, Steelseries, etc). When I say quieter I don't mean inaudible: it's clearly audible but way quieter than a membrane keyboard, to say, go figure any mechanical switch (either omron or cherry).
The buttons are not too flimsy, given their short stroke, albeit pressing them give me sort of rubbery (I dunno if it's the correct word) feedback, the wheel/third button is the worst and the noisiest.
The radio receiver seems to work properly even within my crowded 2.4GHz long range/high power wlan.

Oh, on my Dell 1080p 22" monitor it seems not too slow, but I guess it's more a matter of personal habits and expectations. :wink:

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:12 pm

I picked up the Logitech M330 not too long ago. Overall, I like the sound of the buttons. But unfortunately that's about where it stops. First, this being the "larger" one over the M220, it's still quite small. It appears to be taller than the M220 but the length is still quite short. Coming from an M510 which fits nicely in my hand, the M330 requires me to hold on with my fingers. So I can't rest my hand. The buttons also feel like there's less travel or something. I seem to accidentally click them regularly but that could just be me. The scroll wheel isn't rounded on the sides which feels a little off. And the Logitech Options software has a lot less options then the old SetPoint software. So I'm still looking for my perfect quiet mouse. *sigh*

As for keyboards, I'd been using laptop style scissor switch keyboards for some time now (finding some posts I made on this thread WAY back) but in the last few years got into mechanical keyboards. Of course I was always looking at ways to make them quieter. I have yet to try out the Cherry silent red switches but I haven't been impressed with my limited testing with linear switches. I tried O-rings and while they do help with the noise when pressing down on the keys, they do nothing with the noise when the key returns to its normal position. Recently ZealPC came out with a new product he calls Zealencios. I jumped on those right away as they sounded like they might solve all of the issues with O-Rings. I'm typing on them now and it's great. Still very mechanical feeling but much less noisy overall. Not silent of course but pretty close in volume to my Thinkpad scissor switches but with a lower thonk of a sound and less plastic sounding.

I think my ideal silent keyboard switch would be a silenced Topre 55g. Topre already is pretty silent on the down stroke due to its construction. But the "thonk" Topre is known for comes from that same up stroke noise that O-Rings don't help with. I have a RealForce and recently got some MX sliders for them that came with the silencing rings on them to help with that up stroke sound and it makes for a very quiet keyboard. But mine has the weighted keys which isn't my favorite. The lighter keys on the outside almost feel linear. The Escape key is the only 55g weight and it has a much nicer tactile bump. So a whole keyboard of that would be great. But I've also gone pretty deep on the custom keyboard thing so the standard layout on my RealForce doesn't do it for me anymore. Someday I'd like to build a custom Topre keyboard. But that would be a lot of work.

phobus

Post by phobus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:55 pm

I love the Topre switches in my HHKB Pro2. Granted, that keyboard's main draw is the layout (which I also love), but the switches are nice if you want something quiet with some feedback. Big difference compared to a true mechanical switch like Cherry or ALPS, though.

dreamalittle

Post by dreamalittle » Wed May 17, 2017 8:35 pm

Recently bought a Das keyboard pro 4 (cherry brown) and a logitech g610 keyboard (cherry brown).. I'm starting to develop a problem. Both have their pros and cons. Overall the das 4 design and quality is better than anything I've had, but bottoming out is very noisy, o-rings would help here. The G610 is a tiny bit quieter and the keys "feel" faster for gaming, although overall quality isn't close to the das 4. The das 4 was also twice the price, so I'll probably keep it long term in typing setups if I stop gaming. G610 is one of those ~ $100 nice keyboards that I'll probably break or spill something on while playing games. I'll probably do another youtube video comparing the acoustic signatures as the other vid I posted got a couple thousand views and some good pm'd feedback. I know I searched for days looking for acoustic videos on all the keyboards I was looking for and just didn't find them. They're all videos with some dude rambling on and on in a monotone about the features written on the side of the box :lol:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu May 18, 2017 4:50 am

I have been happy with my Logitech G810 with the Romer G switches. Slightly quieter than a Das Keyboard with o-rings. I also have a Corsair with Cherry Red and o-rings.

The G413 is the lowest price unit with Romer G switches.

rony albert

Post by rony albert » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 pm

I think it's matter of choice!

dreamalittle

Post by dreamalittle » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm

dreamalittle wrote:Recently bought a Das keyboard pro 4 (cherry brown) and a logitech g610 keyboard (cherry brown).. I'm starting to develop a problem. Both have their pros and cons. Overall the das 4 design and quality is better than anything I've had, but bottoming out is very noisy, o-rings would help here. The G610 is a tiny bit quieter and the keys "feel" faster for gaming, although overall quality isn't close to the das 4. The das 4 was also twice the price, so I'll probably keep it long term in typing setups if I stop gaming. G610 is one of those ~ $100 nice keyboards that I'll probably break or spill something on while playing games. I'll probably do another youtube video comparing the acoustic signatures as the other vid I posted got a couple thousand views and some good pm'd feedback. I know I searched for days looking for acoustic videos on all the keyboards I was looking for and just didn't find them. They're all videos with some dude rambling on and on in a monotone about the features written on the side of the box :lol:
bit over a year on from the g610 purchase, and the lower quality is starting to show. the WASD letters on the keys are starting to wear off, and i'm uncertain if n-key rollover is better or not (this kb doesn't have it).

with a fresh perspective, it's still a noisy keyboard. i'm yet to find anything quieter than apple's wireless keyboard, the one that takes AA batteries. Their new keyboard (rechargeable via lightning cable) I think only works on MAC OS, but I haven't tested it on windows. like most apple things there's probably a workaround you could use to get it working on windows.

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Personally I love the feel and layout of thinkpad laptop keyboards, which Lenovo has also made available as separate products, wired and wireless....I love the trackpoint, have become very used to it, and I love not having to lift my hands off the keyboard.

They're expensive to get in Europe, mostly have to be imported from Asia (or USA) and the customs fees further discourage me from doing so...you can get them at around 80-90€ generally from ebay.

A couple of months ago I saw these keyboards locally in a store (not for sale, the business was using them), I actually asked the employee if I could try them out a bit...surely preferable to and much more silent than my Logitech Wave Keyboard, but it does feel better embedded in a laptop, sturdier.

I think the wireless ones have an older version of Bluetooth, ver 3.0 if not mistaken and I have read user reviews complaining about the range, but that wouldn't be a problem on an office desk, perhaps if you want to sit on your couch and type away, it may be a problem.

darkprog

Post by darkprog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:11 am

Gugert

Post by Gugert » Thu May 28, 2020 6:47 am

It depends on your use case. If you are using it for gaming then I will recommend you go with Logitech gaming series keyboard and mouse.

If you are using it for office purpose then I will recommend some good mouse keyboard set my, like, dell.

pati.trip

Post by pati.trip » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am

Gugert wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:47 am
It depends on your use case. If you are using it for gaming then I will recommend you go with Logitech gaming series keyboard and mouse.

If you are using it for office purpose then I will recommend some good mouse keyboard set my, like, dell.
I totally agree with you, I think for a better recommendation we will need to know which use are you going to make of the Mouse and Keyword, but also which kind of Computer are you going to use: Laptop, desktop, Mac?

In my case, for example, I needed it only for job proposes and some Youtube and Internet browsing... I am using a MacBook Pro, so... I am super fine with my touchpad and the serial keyword, but if I want gaming probably I would look for another thing

CristianoO'Quinn

Post by CristianoO'Quinn » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:24 am

There is really no reason to keep using noisy keyboards and mouses. They only irritate you and the people arround. For me the best solution is Jelly Comb keyboard Mouse Combo Ultra Slim Full Size.

pati.trip

Post by pati.trip » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:52 am

CristianoO'Quinn wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:24 am
There is really no reason to keep using noisy keyboards and mouses. They only irritate you and the people arround. For me the best solution is Jelly Comb keyboard Mouse Combo Ultra Slim Full Size.
I totally agree, but still thinking that it will depend on your use case right? I mean, the ones you shared looks great for (in my opinion) gaming or more multimedia task, but for me, I normally don't need that much

chris912

Post by chris912 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:22 am

just modded my Micro$oft wireless optical mouse 2.0 with bluetak as per Alistair's original idea. Wrapped each of the 5 microswitches in tak and pressed it in with jewellers screwdriver, used what i had left to fill some of the voids, and the clicks are much muted. the good thing is retaining the action, and I dont have need of silent clicks right now so the muted ones are great.

===========
chris912

Rao Shaheryar

Post by Rao Shaheryar » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:03 am

I read out your question I think I understand your question so, I define your question to my point of view , but my point of view is also define but I voted for this answer, Not exactly a mouse, but if you got a touchpad that supports taps (on the pad) as clicks, that should be less noisy than mouse clicks.

fletcher185

Post by fletcher185 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:16 am

What is the best silent/quiet gaming mouse?