Recommend a Silent Mouse and Keyboard?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

raspin99

silent mouse

Post by raspin99 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:13 am

they really are silent, our intended market was ty & radio but they are doing well with libraries and others

Its unlikely that we will produce a 'ball' version as sales of these are being phased out in favor of optical & now laser mice

Nick

www.silentmouse.co.uk
www.silentkeyboard.com

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:23 am

Here's one I came across, not sure if anyone has posted it already and haven't tried it myself

Rare Mono Shop

EDIT: Mouse too

illgibson

In a pinch, try mouse keys...

Post by illgibson » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:46 pm

Still haven't found the perfect mouse, but when I really need to quiet my clicking, I turn on mouse keys and use my numeric keypad...

Hit Shift key 5 times in a row
Click "Settings" button
Click "Mouse" tab
Check "Use MouseKeys"

outoftune

Post by outoftune » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:38 pm

i just picked up the MS comfortcurve 2000 and the intellimouse explorer 3.0. the keyboard is pretty quiet, you can hear the keys but its not really click, more of a lower pitched thud, barely even there if you have a little bit of music on.

the mouse has no whine and the button clicks are fairly quiet too. the scroll wheel is a little loud but i just increased the amount of lines it scrolls so i dont have to click it as much. i think the noise comes from the "detents", like notches in the scroll wheel. the wheel is really accurate as is the rest of the mouse. the extra buttons are nice tooo. im still contemplating taking it back and getting the thanko silent mouse....

i previously had the gyration ultra compact desktop combo. the keyboard always misses keystokes and the mouse whines. its nice to be able to use the mouse far away and "in the air" as a remote but its not good for silence.

Traciatim

Post by Traciatim » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:43 am

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

I sure hope you can turn off the simulated click noise. I would think that something like:

http://www.homeworkhelp.com/estore/prod ... oductid=40

or

http://www.supergooddeal.com/PhotoGalle ... argerphoto

Would suffice as they have slim keys like a laptop.

If you are partial to monkeys you could probably train one to be quiet and move your mouse with it's thoughts:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1871803.stm

You could also try something like:

http://www.soundproofing.org/images/headset-01.jpg . . . but I think you'd look a little city with professional ear protection on in front of your PC.

marcvip

Post by marcvip » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:01 pm

Guys if you want the quietest keyboard and mouse go for the Thanko....I also have the lenovo Ibm keyboard which is quieter than most keyboards but nowhere near the Thanko

gotoguy

Quiet Keyboard

Post by gotoguy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:24 pm

If you are looking for a quieter keyboard, you can look here: www.quietkeyboards.com They claim a 50%+ noise reduction.

raspin99

silent keyboard

Post by raspin99 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:52 am

marcvip

Post by marcvip » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:15 am

I don't think the Thanko keyboard is available for sale in the US anymore?

http://www.dynamism.com/silent-keyboard/main.shtml

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:22 am

Does anybody like mini keyboards? I find them more comfortable to type on. If anybody has a recommendation for a cheap, quiet, mini-keyboard, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

whispergear

For those of you who can read German

Post by whispergear » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:51 am

Yesterday I was looking for a keyboard myself and as I am a happy Cherry user I looked at http://www.cherry.de/deutsch/produkte/h ... yboard.htm and the manufacturere says ultra silent.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:16 am

Me Like!

gomme

Post by gomme » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:48 am

In response to fanerman91; I got a Zippy mini keyboard (EL-620).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823128020

It's a mixed bag.

Good:
clean design (Al rim, translucent white keys, silver web buttons)
light
EL(glow in dark) feature
quieter than laptop(~scissor style)

Bad:
not cheap(30+)
light
EL whine(when on)
not silent
layout problems
power button problem(XP?)
Black plastic bottom

you can go prospecting at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 844%3A7075 and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 844%3A7076

PrivatePixel

Post by PrivatePixel » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:51 pm

I'm partial to Logitech products, which is why I got a diNovoâ„¢ Cordless Desktop for use at work; I replaced the bundled cordless optical mouse with an LX7 optical mouse. I've even received a few compliments on the keyboard's aesthetics from co-workers. I can safely say that I have the quietest keyboard at work (other than a handful of MS and Logitech users, everyone else uses the keyboard and mouse that came with their DELL or HP PC).

I plan on getting a diNovo Edgeâ„¢ eventually for use at home (when the price is right :wink: )

minibeardeath

Post by minibeardeath » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:34 pm

this may seem like an odd request but i currently have a logitec wireless mouse and keyboard set which i love dearly cause now i can sit on my bed and type and its fairly quiet (but then again my comp is quite loud (which i will soon be changing :lol: )) but i need a silent WIRED keyboard cause im going of to college in year and half and i really dont want my keyboard/mouse to get jacked from the dorm. any suggestions other than switching to mac because mac are the devil [side note] (ive actually been able to make a mac freeze and crash (on 2 seperate occasions) and i am quite proud of my self because it is one of the brandnew ones) :lol:
but yeah a silent wired keyboard would be really nice

also backlit if possible cause im a night typer

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:13 am

You might want to check on the "SPCR... in a nutshell" sticky in the newcomer room. I compiled a list of all keyboards said to be quiet by users o n this forum (I might have missed one, but it's pretty comprehensive otherwise).

minibeardeath

kool thanks

Post by minibeardeath » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:23 pm

also, how loud are Razer mice specificly the diamondback???

ILLIAM Digital Audio

Post by ILLIAM Digital Audio » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:06 pm

I haven't read this whole thread but its funny, I was just thinking the same thing about the noise of a keyboard and mouse when paired with my DAW (PC Digital Audio Workstation). For musicians without the luxury of a studio or insulated vocal booth, recording mic'd instruments in the same room while you're realtime editing, simultaneously adjusting track settings, fx, etc., can add some very clickity-clackity annoyances. Granted, there are a number of microphones and recording techniques that can prevent this (along with other noises you'd like to prevent, like cars beeping and racing by or drunk neighbors, or a combination of the two), but it would be nice to have one less thing to worry about.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:17 pm

If you haven't read through this thread, consider going into the SPCR Newcomer section and click on the "spcr... in a nutshell" thread. I've listed every mouse and keyboard recommended as being quiet here, plus links to mods some members have done to their mice to make them quieter.

nici

Re: kool thanks

Post by nici » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:53 am

minibeardeath wrote:also, how loud are Razer mice specificly the diamondback???
The feet are slippery so they might be slightly quieter than your average mouse when moving it, and id say the clicks are pretty normal. I have the Copperhead but if i remember correctly the diamondback is the same mouse but with a traditional optical sensor instead of the laser.

minibeardeath

Post by minibeardeath » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:08 pm

ok thanks

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:30 pm

in my experience Razers buttons are very loud compeared to logitech. Anymouse can be made silent by using silicon tape, after market glide feets etc.

I had Razer Diamondback, its buttons were so loud compeared to my Logitech MX-1000, so I changed my primary computer's mouse to MX-1000 with silicon tape feets. Its virtually silent on my glass pad, and glass feels nice and cool. Buttons click are nice and quiet.

Its MX-1000 for my choice for my mouse. On the otherhand Logitech MX Revolution has been intriguing my mind, but 80€ price tag for a mouse is pretty much.

minibeardeath

Post by minibeardeath » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:24 pm

is it left handed or ambidextirus?

YugenM

Post by YugenM » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:28 pm

ambidextrous

...and the clicking noise keeps mom awake at night, but that's usually when I'm playing Day of Defeat: Source, when I tend to hammer the button while using semi-automatic weapons.

minibeardeath

Post by minibeardeath » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:00 pm

wait the diamondback or the logitech?

nici

Post by nici » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:59 am

The Razers are ambicextrous being completely symmetrical with identical buttons on both sides, the Logitechs are very much right handers.

Another option could be he Microsoft habu(or something), it has Razer electronics inside but you can move the side buttons and turn off the lights, and the back end of the mouse is pretty traditional MS instead of the slightly narrower and less sloping Razer back.

If you really need "silent" clicks i don't think any razer, logitech or MS will work without modding.

I prefer cloth mousepads, right now i have a 50x40cm huge Ulti-Mat which works well. I hate small mousepads.

YugenM

Post by YugenM » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:55 am

Through tens of man-minutes yesterday, I found out that putting a blanket over the keyboard and mouse, and using them that way muffles most of the airborne mouse noise. (blanket sometimes gets caught in mouse wheel, and hand gets damn hot though)

Still doesn't fix the noise put out when the keys on the Saitek Executive are tapped though :cry:

Maybe a wooden box with noise-dampening material on the inside to enclose the mouse and keyboard may work.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:42 am

YugenM wrote:Through tens of man-minutes yesterday, I found out that putting a blanket over the keyboard and mouse, and using them that way muffles most of the airborne mouse noise. (blanket sometimes gets caught in mouse wheel, and hand gets damn hot though)

Still doesn't fix the noise put out when the keys on the Saitek Executive are tapped though :cry:

Maybe a wooden box with noise-dampening material on the inside to enclose the mouse and keyboard may work.
Man! I really can't tell, if you are just being sarcastic or truly obsessed :D.

YugenM

Post by YugenM » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:01 am

Erssa wrote:
YugenM wrote:Through tens of man-minutes yesterday, I found out that putting a blanket over the keyboard and mouse, and using them that way muffles most of the airborne mouse noise. (blanket sometimes gets caught in mouse wheel, and hand gets damn hot though)

Man! I really can't tell, if you are just being sarcastic or truly obsessed :D.
It came out of necessity: The keyboard taps and mouse clicks were keeping mom awake at night, and I like to surf SPCR, play Day of Defeat: Source, and listen to music late at night. You see the problem.

Not much of a difference between folding the blanket four times and folding it twice, except for the former making it harder to move the mouse around and heating up my hand twice as fast.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Any comments on the Razer DeathAdder?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... ture=Razer

I'm looking at getting a new gaming mouse. The whine on my MX510 is so loud!