It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 am
Posts: 10
Location: NYC
My current PC is now over eight years old, built in 2008, largely from recommendations and guidance found here at SPCR. Upgrades throughout the years include: E4300 to E8400 (just last year -- bought it off eBay for less than $8), 8600GT to 9600GT (early adopter), Raptor to Intel X25-M (early adopter), Corsair HX520 to Seasonic X650 (early adopter), and SB Audigy to Asus Xonar Essence XT (early adopter).

It's been showing its age for years, but I've been putting it off, telling myself that I should hold out and wait for the next year -- well, there's always a next year, so enough is enough and the time is now! Here is my list...

Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E (going mATX!)
PSU: Seasonic Prime 650W (prefer the 600W fanless, but won't be out until November from what I've been told)
Mobo: Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU: i7-6700k (purchased months ago; likely overkill but I don't tend to upgrade often)
VGA: Will use integrated until I can find a GTX1070 (whichever performs the best in terms of noise)
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB (2x8) PC4-25600 CL14
Main HD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 256GB
Sound: Will use on-board (will upgrade to a SB X7 later in the year)
Heatsink: Scythe Kotetsu (or maybe a Noctua NH-L12?)
HSF: Noiseblocker M12-S1
Case Fan: Silverstone AP182

Use: Mainly internet surfing, video viewing, and light gaming (D3, CS:GO, Dota, HoN)

My biggest concern is fit, but from what I've gathered, everything should be able to fit into the case. Aside from this and the choice of heatsink, I don't really have any other questions. So... any comments or suggestions? :)

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 3049
Location: Guatemala
nycxandy wrote:
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E (going mATX!)
Recommended you check OCN Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club, you will find tons of builds that you can grab ideas or even get an estimated into what can fit. I personally like a lot a build on it with PS07 + Phanteks PH-TC14PE + Prolimatech MK26, that should fit the same on a TJ08-E, iamdjango build.

nycxandy wrote:
PSU: Seasonic Prime 650W (prefer the 600W fanless, but won't be out until November from what I've been told)
Im also waiting for either.

nycxandy wrote:
Mobo: Asus Z170M-Plus
You need a good motherboard to tame the AP181, its a great fan, but needs to be switch to low and then undervolt heavily, Asus with FanXpert should be a good call as long as you are fine with Software. If you want bios fan control, ASRock Z170M Extreme4 would be my pick, CHA_FAN1 (same as my mobo) can control dynamically (undervolt) the AP182 fine, so AP181 should be really easy for it, all with setup in the bios really easy.

nycxandy wrote:
CPU: i7-6700k (purchased months ago; likely overkill but I don't tend to upgrade often)
Wonderful CPU, mines is running with a lower temp than my 4790K with the same load.

nycxandy wrote:
VGA: Will use integrated until I can find a GTX1070 (whichever performs the best in terms of noise)
I would suggest the MSI as its one of the quietest, and also the upgrade toward an MK26 is extremely easy as the video card has a frontal plate that cools the VRMs and Memory, so you dont need to mount anything aside from the 4 screws that hold the coooler and swap for the MK26 and 4 screws to secure it, you keep the frontal and backplate. One thing to meantion is if you do this, i would go with tower cooler that its not as wide, because the back screws stick out, if you see Imdiago build you can see they do touch.

nycxandy wrote:
Main HD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 256GB
Not a big fan of the high temps it reaches and throttles. I would suggest an samsung 850Pro, the case can install a 2.5 on the bottom.

Quote:
Heatsink: Scythe Kotetsu (or maybe a Noctua NH-L12?)
I would go with Ninja4, its 130mm wide so should help with the GPU or whatever you do later on, do take into account that this cooler will go over the memory, so get standard height memory. Not sure if you plan to use the HDD cage, and hdds inside, as it gets really close to the fan, you can use the bottom cage for 3.5 fine if you still want to have a single storage drive, and the 2.5 ssd still fits below. Another cooler that should work nice on the TJ08-E is the prolimatech mehalems, its also not as wide, as performs very well, and specially since you want to use another fan.

nycxandy wrote:
HSF: Noiseblocker M12-S1
I would try the included fan first, the fan on the Kotestu and Ninja4 isnt bad. I would add also a Scythe SY1225HB12M-P GlideStream 120mm PWM Case Fan 1300 RPM on the back. If i were to upgrade toward a new fans for it, i would wait for Nocutas Copy of the Gentle Typhoons that should be release on the following months. The M12-S1 is a wondeful fan, dont get me wrong, i still have 4 on my Antec 1200, but it has rubber on the sides.... might or not be easy to secure on the cooler you end decide.

nycxandy wrote:
Case Fan: Silverstone AP182
I own 2x AP182s, they can be controlled fine with the Asus FanXpert or with AsRock bios fan control (CHA_FAN1), you do need to play with the knob some, as the fan behavior changes with it, at the lowest setting and with 60% undervolting, it will net you around 250rpms, you can then increase the knob so you end up with the range of operation you want. Remember to install the fan first, as its much easier to do this while the case is empty, and also plan where will you place the knob, i dont change it anymore, but when i set them up, i did a lot until i got where i wanted to at idle and load.

Good luck with the build, be sure to share your experience, as an old owner of TJ08-E i would be interested into seeing how yours turn out. If you need more help, let me know, ill be around.

_________________
GameMiv3 >> AsRock H170 Pro4 | Intel Core i7-6700K | Prolimatech Genesis + 2x Thermalright TY-147A | Kingston HyperX FURY 64GB DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX1080 Gaming X | Acer Predator XB321HK 4K IPS Gsync | Samsung 850pro 1TB | WD RED 3TB | Silverstone FT05 + 2x Silverstone AP182 | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | SimMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 am
Posts: 10
Location: NYC
Abula, thanks for all the information that you've provided. It's been really helpful and I think I will go ahead and make a few changes.

Abula wrote:
nycxandy wrote:
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E (going mATX!)
Recommended you check OCN Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club, you will find tons of builds that you can grab ideas or even get an estimated into what can fit. I personally like a lot a build on it with PS07 + Phanteks PH-TC14PE + Prolimatech MK26, that should fit the same on a TJ08-E, iamdjango build.
I just checked out the PS07 review here on SPCR and I will be sticking with the TJ08-E since it reviewed better and is more aesthetically pleasing. That OC thread is long.. not sure about the amount I will be able to get to.

Abula wrote:
nycxandy wrote:
PSU: Seasonic Prime 650W (prefer the 600W fanless, but won't be out until November from what I've been told)
Im also waiting for either.
The 650W and 750W variants are available on NewEgg right now.

Abula wrote:
nycxandy wrote:
Mobo: Asus Z170M-Plus
You need a good motherboard to tame the AP181, its a great fan, but needs to be switch to low and then undervolt heavily, Asus with FanXpert should be a good call as long as you are fine with Software. If you want bios fan control, ASRock Z170M Extreme4 would be my pick, CHA_FAN1 (same as my mobo) can control dynamically (undervolt) the AP182 fine, so AP181 should be really easy for it, all with setup in the bios really easy.
Interesting... can the CHA_FAN1's on the Asus not do what they can do on the ASRock? What's the difference? Fan Xpert appears to be a Windows program? If that's the case, then I would rather not have it and just maintain the fans at a constant speed at lower voltages. I prefer to mess around with the settings in BIOS and leave it. Only two fans will need to be undervolted so it's not like I need something robust. I don't really need an active system running in the background for potential total passive cooling. I would like to "just set it and forget it," exactly what Ron Popeil once said about the Showtime Rotisserie. I am ok with the heatsink and case fans running all the time -- especially the front case one to create that positive case pressure. The ASRock seems like a very viable alternate. I'm kind of undecided right now.

Abula wrote:
nycxandy wrote:
VGA: Will use integrated until I can find a GTX1070 (whichever performs the best in terms of noise)
I would suggest the MSI as its one of the quietest, and also the upgrade toward an MK26 is extremely easy as the video card has a frontal plate that cools the VRMs and Memory, so you dont need to mount anything aside from the 4 screws that hold the coooler and swap for the MK26 and 4 screws to secure it, you keep the frontal and backplate. One thing to meantion is if you do this, i would go with tower cooler that its not as wide, because the back screws stick out, if you see Imdiago build you can see they do touch.
Just a MK-26 for cooling and no fans?! A passively cooled video card like my current 9600GT would be excellent. The MK-26 should fit on most, if not all, 1070s?

Abula wrote:
nycxandy wrote:
Main HD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 256GB
Not a big fan of the high temps it reaches and throttles. I would suggest an samsung 850Pro, the case can install a 2.5 on the bottom.
I did not know about this. I quickly searched and it appears that adding heatsinks significantly reduces its temperature. I will definitely be doing this.

Abula wrote:
Quote:
Heatsink: Scythe Kotetsu (or maybe a Noctua NH-L12?)
I would go with Ninja4, its 130mm wide so should help with the GPU or whatever you do later on, do take into account that this cooler will go over the memory, so get standard height memory. Not sure if you plan to use the HDD cage, and hdds inside, as it gets really close to the fan, you can use the bottom cage for 3.5 fine if you still want to have a single storage drive, and the 2.5 ssd still fits below. Another cooler that should work nice on the TJ08-E is the prolimatech mehalems, its also not as wide, as performs very well, and specially since you want to use another fan.
Going with the Ninja4! Did a little more searching and the memory I want should barely fit (maybe 1-2 mm of clearance?). Would this affect adding the MK-26 onto the video card? I will be using a second 3.5" hard drive for storage purposes. If I can fit the 3.5" hard drive below, without the hard drive cage then I will do that. I will be going M2 so a second spot for a 2.5" won't be necessary. If not, I will put it up top where the optical disc drive would be (not including one in my build). I'll then add elastic suspension or use the NoVibes III mount, as recommended here.

Abula wrote:
nycxandy wrote:
HSF: Noiseblocker M12-S1
I would try the included fan first, the fan on the Kotestu and Ninja4 isnt bad. I would add also a Scythe SY1225HB12M-P GlideStream 120mm PWM Case Fan 1300 RPM on the back. If i were to upgrade toward a new fans for it, i would wait for Nocutas Copy of the Gentle Typhoons that should be release on the following months. The M12-S1 is a wondeful fan, dont get me wrong, i still have 4 on my Antec 1200, but it has rubber on the sides.... might or not be easy to secure on the cooler you end decide.
Sticking with the stock fan... for now.

Abula wrote:
nycxandy wrote:
Case Fan: Silverstone AP182
I own 2x AP182s, they can be controlled fine with the Asus FanXpert or with AsRock bios fan control (CHA_FAN1), you do need to play with the knob some, as the fan behavior changes with it, at the lowest setting and with 60% undervolting, it will net you around 250rpms, you can then increase the knob so you end up with the range of operation you want. Remember to install the fan first, as its much easier to do this while the case is empty, and also plan where will you place the knob, i dont change it anymore, but when i set them up, i did a lot until i got where i wanted to at idle and load.
Like you, I would prefer just running one setting at all times. So undervolt as low as possible and then fine tune with the knob? Got it.

Abula wrote:
Good luck with the build, be sure to share your experience, as an old owner of TJ08-E i would be interested into seeing how yours turn out. If you need more help, let me know, ill be around.
Thanks! I'll post some pictures when I'm done. Hopefully get the ball rolling by next week.

P.S. Is it me or do you have to manually add the quote BBCodes in order to format all these quotes correctly?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 3049
Location: Guatemala
nycxandy wrote:
I just checked out the PS07 review here on SPCR and I will be sticking with the TJ08-E since it reviewed better and is more aesthetically pleasing. That OC thread is long.. not sure about the amount I will be able to get to.
The link was not meant for you to go into the PS07, was to show what you could fit on it, the case specs inside is the same for the TJ08-E/PS07/KL06, so was more to show you that the MK26 and big twin tower could be fitted together, that build is among the most heatsinks i seen fitted on that type of case. And about the thread, yea.... its a big one, the TJ08-E upon release was extremely popular, specially because of its price tag, compact size and capacity to cool down a high end setup, but that thread has some of the most impressive builds i seen, even PSU that go out with custom loops that i never though were possible, that said there is builds there for everybody, from air stock stuff to ultra high end custom water, you can find almost any cooler there if it fits or what will happen with other stuff.

nycxandy wrote:
The 650W and 750W variants are available on NewEgg right now.
Didn't know it was already avialble, sadly i cant order from newegg, and it seems its 170mm, i think it will be too much for the FT05, but i'll wait for the 600W Fanless for the HTPC rebuild.

nycxandy wrote:
Interesting... can the CHA_FAN1's on the Asus not do what they can do on the ASRock? What's the difference? Fan Xpert appears to be a Windows program? If that's the case, then I would rather not have it and just maintain the fans at a constant speed at lower voltages. I prefer to mess around with the settings in BIOS and leave it. Only two fans will need to be undervolted so it's not like I need something robust. I don't really need an active system running in the background for potential total passive cooling. I would like to "just set it and forget it," exactly what Ron Popeil once said about the Showtime Rotisserie. I am ok with the heatsink and case fans running all the time -- especially the front case one to create that positive case pressure. The ASRock seems like a very viable alternate. I'm kind of undecided right now.
Asus can do both, but im my experience Asus excels in software, their bios fan control is not as good, even though its mini fanXpert style, i had some issues with certain fans bugging the bios, i even got resets upon trying to go into very low rpms with noctua fans, that said, i already did two build with H170 Pro Gaming with Corsair and Scythe fans, and no issues that i could tell. Im going to try to explain a little more, with asus the bios fan control is very restrictive, for example the CPU_FAN header has 60% restriction, until you run the QTunning, if the fan is tested and recorded correctly, then you are fine, you can change the graph however you like, if its not you are left with the high restrictions, asrock in the other hand is very open, no restrictions, its up to the user to know how the fans work, meaning you can reach as low as your fans can go. On AsRock only 2 fans are autodetect, CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1 (in fatality boards its CPU_FAN2), CHA_FAN2, 3, etc are only PWM, while the autodetect can do PWM or 3pin voltage controlled, this is the reason i said CHA_FAN1 can control the AP182, as it will autodetect the 3pin and switch automatically to Voltage control, remember if you go this route, the AP182 wiht the knob all the way down will not go much lower than 55% (60% is safer, it varies from sample to sample), to have the fans start upon booting, what im trying to say is that mobo will allow you to go 1% but the fan wont start, you need to go to around 60%, this is the beauty of AsRock bios fan control, as it gives you total control you need to know what your fans are capable.

But don't get wrong, Asus is a superb motherboard, but to me (others might disagree), their strength relays on their software FanXpert, not their bios fan control, that can be good, but you risk it depending on your luck and the way the it reads the fans you buy, on the software no fans has ever given me any issues.

nycxandy wrote:
Just a MK-26 for cooling and no fans?! A passively cooled video card like my current 9600GT would be excellent. The MK-26 should fit on most, if not all, 1070s?
Ill touch a couple of points here,
1) Idk if the MK26 can do it with no fans, maybe a GTX750Ti but higher than that it will need fans.
2) Mk26 might fit most of the GTX1070s, but remember a lot are using custom PCBs and designs, so even though i do think it will fit most, there might be some that dont.
3) On the MK26, its important that you realize that the cooler only touches the GPU, thus cooling of mosfets and memory has to be done with little heatsinks either glued with something like artic alumina or using thermal tape, but on certain GTX1070s like the MSI GTX1070 Gaming X, they did a custom frontal plate that touches all the memory and heatsinks (Asus and gigabyte dont have frontal plate like this, not sure EVGA), so you dont need to take off, nor you need extra heastinks, its like its already been done for you, this is why its such an easy upgrade, i will leave you a picture to see what im trying to explain, from TechPowerUp MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8 GB

Image

nycxandy wrote:
I did not know about this. I quickly searched and it appears that adding heatsinks significantly reduces its temperature. I will definitely be doing this.
Check [H]ardOCP Samsung 950 PRO [Official Thread], you will find a lot of info on benches and some moding.

nycxandy wrote:
Going with the Ninja4! Did a little more searching and the memory I want should barely fit (maybe 1-2 mm of clearance?).
I did a build a couple of weeks ago with the Ninja4, and yes the fan goes over the memory, i used Kingston Fury HyperX and fitted fine, you still have some room to giggle the fan up, but i still recommend standard height memory, there is no need for high tall memory. The G.SKILL TridentZ might be too high, as i said there is some room to move the fan up some, but not much, its hard to say if they would fit with the fan or not. There are other options of coolers like Thermalright Macho RevB that will for sure allow you the trident memory, as the fan doesn't reach the memory banks, but its 140mm, you still shoulndt have problems with the MSI GTX1070 Gaming, but if you go the route of the MK26 for sure the the screws will touch the heatsink.

nycxandy wrote:
Would this affect adding the MK-26 onto the video card?
This is a very good question, and sorry i dont have definitive answer, but ill try to give you my best guess with my experience on my old TJ08-E that used an Thermalright HR02 (now its the Macho). Almost all the micro atx motherboards have the PCIe 16x on the first physical slot, in most motherboards this means you have 70mm of clearance from the middle of CPU socket, the HR02 had 140mm width, meaning the exact 70mm to each side, so it was right next to the GPU PCIe, never was an issue as my GPUs were with backplate and no sticking out screws, meaning you shouldn't have an issues with the MSI GTX1070 Gaming, but if you upgrade toward the MK26 it will stick out the back screws, this was my reason for me to suggest a less width heatsink like the Ninja4, weather the 5mm is enough or will the screws will touch is hard to say, on the iamdiago build that i linked before it does touch, i ask him, but his cooler is 140mm width, while the ninja4 is 130mm, again hard to say with exact certainty, this is entering to much ifs..... but my guess is that it should work out. My suggestion is not to buy MK26 unless you do need it, i think the MSI will be quiet enough, and the AP182 will be right next to it to cool it, so overall i think you wont need it, but its nice to have an option down the road if you want a quieter setup, and specially the MSI for the reason i said before.

nycxandy wrote:
I will be using a second 3.5" hard drive for storage purposes. If I can fit the 3.5" hard drive below, without the hard drive cage then I will do that. I will be going M2 so a second spot for a 2.5" won't be necessary. If not, I will put it up top where the optical disc drive would be (not including one in my build). I'll then add elastic suspension or use the NoVibes III mount, as recommended here.
There are two cages, the bottom and top, the top one has mounting for 4x 3.5 and has the GPU support, its removable which i recommend if you dont need the support as it will give you less restrictive airflow. The bottom cage has a slot for just 1x 3.5hdd, its hard mounted, i used this for couple of years with WD Red and was fine, try it see if you can hard mounted, else go with the No Vibes mount and the 5.25 slots. Btw the bottom cage dont interfere with the memory as the top cage do.

nycxandy wrote:
Like you, I would prefer just running one setting at all times. So undervolt as low as possible and then fine tune with the knob? Got it.
The behavior of the AP182 is not linear, meaning the knob not only changes the rpms but the way the graph behave, you can check a more on Taming the beast, Silverstone AP182. My recommendation is to drop the knob all the way down, then enter the bios and set 60% until 50C as the first breakpoints and then second breakpoint 70% 60C, then 80% 70C and 100% 80C. Then enter windows and run whatever stress on the CPU, see how the fan works and hear it, and now use the knob, not big increments but small ones, like 1/10 of a turn, see how the minimum speed varies and see the maximum under stress, then decide where you want to leave the knob, this takes like 30mins or so, but do small changes as the knob is very sensitive. i would set similarly the CPU_FAN option, but this is up to you and your testing. If you go with AsRock check inside the bios the Fantastic tunning for each fan, it has an option into which sensor the fan reacts, change the CHA_FAN1 to CPU, else it wont increase with the CPU temperature.

Quote:
Thanks! I'll post some pictures when I'm done. Hopefully get the ball rolling by next week.
Thanks, ill be watching.

As an extra, if you do decide to go with MK26 later on, as you know many of the GTX1070s can stop the fans, going with custom cooler will mean you will also go with custom fans. Here its up to you which fans, by design at 0% PWM some fans will stop and others wont, this is how the fan was design to operate, remember all PWM fans operate at 12V always and the motor is regulated by the PWM singal. For example fans that i know wont stop, Thermalright TY147A (300rpm @ 0% PWM) and Prolimatech Vortex 140 Utraslim (350rpms @ 0% PWM), but there are fans that will stop with 0% pwm, for example Noctua NF-P14R PWM Redux. I personally prefer them not to stop, since those speeds are so slow that are inaudible, and the difference in temps is 30C vs 50C, overall i prefer my hardware to run cooler if i dont get a noise penalty.

_________________
GameMiv3 >> AsRock H170 Pro4 | Intel Core i7-6700K | Prolimatech Genesis + 2x Thermalright TY-147A | Kingston HyperX FURY 64GB DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX1080 Gaming X | Acer Predator XB321HK 4K IPS Gsync | Samsung 850pro 1TB | WD RED 3TB | Silverstone FT05 + 2x Silverstone AP182 | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | SimMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 154
Location: Scandinavia
<joke> Regarding your choice of TJ08-E based on the SPCR review, if I may, please do not have too much confidence in the SPCR review because there have been many excellent new chassis in the market thereafter. You need to do them justice because quite a few of them are indeed innovative and brilliant. </joke>

I could not possibly wade through all the discussions here but I'm rather strongly oppposed to recommending TJ08-E, which is the chassis of my main computer, because of sheer lack of even a single decent 180mm fan in the market. I tinkered with three 180mm fans (two from SilverStone, one from Phobya) and all of them invariably produced very annoying clicking noise even in low rotations speeds, e.g., 200-300 rpms, which becomes all the more evident in high speeds. I certainly have high acoustic expectations (you can have a vague idea by taking a glimpse into my signature) but from my experience, clicking noise is a rather orthogonal acoustic component which makes people quite nervous.

For value-oriented decent mATX chassis, I would recommend:

(1) Fractal Design Define Mini
(2) Corsair 350D

You can't really go wrong with either of them. If you are ready to shell out a bit more for higher-tier chassis and happen to prefer some "smallish" chassis, there are two cases for recommended cases (pun intended!):

(3) If you need to install a standard ODD, from my extensive research, I think Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX version is absolutely outstanding in terms of design and airflow amongst others.
(4) Otherwise, you could probably go for Raijintek Styx, which I'm using currently and very satisfied.

If the fianancial circumstances do not matter at all, I can highly recommend Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX.



nycxandy wrote:
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E (going mATX!)

_________________
Main: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv White|2x NF-A14|NF-S12A; Asus H110I-PLUS D3; i5-6600K|NH-U12S; [email protected]; Palit GTX1070 SJS; Intel 330 180G; Crucial BX100 500G; RM650
HTPC: Raijintek Styx Red|3x NF-S12A; Asus H97M-E; i5-4430|NH-L12; [email protected]; Asus GTX970 Strix; Intel 335 240G; ST30SF
Family: Lian Li PC-Q11 Black; Asrock H81M-ITX; i3-4130|Big Shuriken 2B|NF-F12; [email protected]; Crucial M500 120G; ST30SF


Last edited by ggumdol on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 5275
Location: ITALY
Abula wrote:

Maybe a SY1225HB12MS-RKP is a bit better pick than it.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 5275
Location: ITALY
ggumdol wrote:
I think Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX version is absolutely outstanding in terms of design and airflow amongst others.
(4) Otherwise, you could probably go for Raijintek Styx, which I'm using currently and very satisfied.

If the fianancial circumstances do not matter at all, I can highly recommend Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX.

Did you try the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX?

Personally I'm not fully satisfied by the airflow/cooling of the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX, and the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mITX performed rather poorly (cooling-wise) in the SPCR review.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm
Posts: 154
Location: Scandinavia
It seems that Hardocp was very impressed with the cooling performance of Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/12/ ... 4vWZDUSrOU

Lots of good chassis are being forgotten simply because they are outdated while connoisseurs of silence-computing are holding onto old models.


quest_for_silence wrote:
ggumdol wrote:
I think Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX version is absolutely outstanding in terms of design and airflow amongst others.
(4) Otherwise, you could probably go for Raijintek Styx, which I'm using currently and very satisfied.

If the fianancial circumstances do not matter at all, I can highly recommend Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX.

Did you try the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX?

Personally I'm not fully satisfied by the airflow/cooling of the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX, and the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mITX performed rather poorly (cooling-wise) in the SPCR review.

_________________
Main: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv White|2x NF-A14|NF-S12A; Asus H110I-PLUS D3; i5-6600K|NH-U12S; [email protected]; Palit GTX1070 SJS; Intel 330 180G; Crucial BX100 500G; RM650
HTPC: Raijintek Styx Red|3x NF-S12A; Asus H97M-E; i5-4430|NH-L12; [email protected]; Asus GTX970 Strix; Intel 335 240G; ST30SF
Family: Lian Li PC-Q11 Black; Asrock H81M-ITX; i3-4130|Big Shuriken 2B|NF-F12; [email protected]; Crucial M500 120G; ST30SF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 am
Posts: 10
Location: NYC
quest_for_silence wrote:
Abula wrote:

Maybe a SY1225HB12MS-RKP is a bit better pick than it.

Thanks all for the advice!

I went with the ASRock Z170M Extreme4 motherboard... so for the rear case fan (third in total, after the heatsink and front), would I be able to adequately undervolt the GlideStream PWM like the other two fans or would I need the PWM with the speed switch version as suggested by quest_for_silence?

Edit: I can't seem to find the SY1225HB12MS-RKP available for purchase anywhere in the U.S. besides Aquatuning ($75 minimum purchase).

Edit #2: Was scoping out this thread and learned to look at the smart fan speed control specifications. The ASRock mobo has the following:

- 1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)
- 2 x Chassis Fan Connectors (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)*
*CPU_FAN1, CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use.

So this means that I should be fine with regular GlideStream PWM fan (Scythe SY1225HB12M-P) since I can control all three fans?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 3049
Location: Guatemala
nycxandy wrote:
So this means that I should be fine with regular GlideStream PWM fan (Scythe SY1225HB12M-P) since I can control all three fans?
Well overall the least you have is 3pin, all the headers are at least PWM, with the autodectect headers being able to do both (PWM and DC), but the Glidestream PWM is pretty good fan, drop really low.

Image

Personally i would go full PWM on any Skylake AsRock board if the case allows, but it will control 3pin fans fine on the autodetect headers, like the AP181/182.

As a side note, remember when you enter the bios change the focus of each fan to CPU temperature, by defualt the CPU_FAN header will be the only one, you need to change the CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2.

_________________
GameMiv3 >> AsRock H170 Pro4 | Intel Core i7-6700K | Prolimatech Genesis + 2x Thermalright TY-147A | Kingston HyperX FURY 64GB DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX1080 Gaming X | Acer Predator XB321HK 4K IPS Gsync | Samsung 850pro 1TB | WD RED 3TB | Silverstone FT05 + 2x Silverstone AP182 | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | SimMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 5275
Location: ITALY
nycxandy wrote:
So this means that I should be fine with regular GlideStream PWM fan (Scythe SY1225HB12M-P) since I can control all three fans?

Yes, you're fine with it.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Posts: 1499
Location: UK
nycxandy wrote:
So this means that I should be fine with regular GlideStream PWM fan (Scythe SY1225HB12M-P) since I can control all three fans?
This fan has been discontinued for a while. If your priority is a quiet PWM case fan I would suggest the Noctua NF-P12 PWM as an alternative, which has a 300 to 1300 range. As a lower cost alternative there is the Noctua Redux NF-S12B 1200 PWM which has a nominal 400 to 1200 rpm range. I own and use both but pushed for a preference, the NF-F12 PWM would be my choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 5275
Location: ITALY
lodestar wrote:
nycxandy wrote:
So this means that I should be fine with regular GlideStream PWM fan (Scythe SY1225HB12M-P) since I can control all three fans?
This fan has been discontinued for a while.

That's not correct.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Posts: 1499
Location: UK
The web site seems to be out of date according to this UK supplier and there is another local supplier saying the same. The reason may be that the most recent 120mm PWM fan introduced by Scythe is the SY1225HB12MS-RKP model which came out in the Spring of this year. This is the one with the three position PWM range switch as fitted as standard to the Ninja 4. It would make sense to withdraw the older one in favour of this newer one. The SY1225HB12MS-RKP is available from UK suppliers. It is reasonably well priced at £7.50 to £8.00.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 5275
Location: ITALY
lodestar wrote:
The web site seems to be out of date according to this UK supplier and there is another local supplier saying the same.

You're clutching at straws, as usual, local or temporary shortage means nothing: https://www.caseking.de/en/scythe-glide-stream-sy1225hb12m-p-luefter-1300rpm-pwm-120mm-lusy-097.html So what, lodestar?

The specific information you gave ("This fan has been discontinued for a while") is just... groundless, as usual, and that fan, officially and practically, is in the current Scythe lineup. Will it be discontinued? Who knows, albeit any product will be discontinued, at some time.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First New Build in 8 Years!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 pm
Posts: 3
ggumdol wrote:
Lots of good chassis are being forgotten simply because they are outdated while connoisseurs of silence-computing are holding onto old models.


Which models for example?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group