building almost done but what motherboard

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

unibomber51

building almost done but what motherboard

Post by unibomber51 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:31 am

It's been over 6 years since i've built my last comp and i am about build a new computer but am confused about the choices of mother boards

so far i have the following:
Conroe E6600
antec p150
WD HD (not sure what size yet)
120 nexus exaust
2x 92 nexus intake
evga 7900gt ko
sycthe ninja
1gb ocz PC2-4200 Kit

What do you think of the current specs?

I also need some advice on:
-replacement VGA cooler
-fan for ninja
-is ram good enough
-what motherboard? (i think asus would be best)

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:26 am

You don't need a fan for the ninja. I just read a post about one who runned it passivly on a E6600.
Besides, just the ninja is discontinued so you'll have to go with Ninja plus and recive Scythe S-flex 1200rpm fan. Mount that fan in the back, it'll save the money for the nexus.

The ram is a bit on the slow side but faster ram doesn't give that much extra in performance. I would recommend you to get 2Gb with 2x1Gb modules.

You can use Zalman ZM-80D-HP for that graphic, I have the reference-speed card with that cooler. Otherwise Zalman VF900 is silent and it does the trick as well

Can't help you with the motherboard but search the forum for other with simular builds and see their recommendations

nici

Post by nici » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:03 am

Skip the second intake fan, your PSU and exhaust fan will move more air than the front fans will push in so they would only be in the way. It's a good idea to leave one fan in the front for cooling the HDD though :)

Unless you are perverted and enjoy fiddling with a bazillion tiny screws and aligning stuff don't bother with the heatpipe coolers. I have built dozens of plastic models, assembling the heatpipe monsters is almost as frustrating as the damn transfer decals :lol: The VF900 is nice, easy to install and you should be able to run it at 4V without a huge drop in performane, at those levels it's very quiet.

And as Mr. Banjo suggested, using the fan included with the Ninja as an exhaust is a good idea, you'll need to undervolt it though. Most likely possible with software included with your mobo. That is if you get a mobo where the heatsink will be close to the exhaust fan so the exhaust fan provides wnough airflow over the heatsink.

cmthomson

Re: building almost done but what motherboard

Post by cmthomson » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:17 am

unibomber51 wrote:I also need some advice on:
-replacement VGA cooler
-fan for ninja
-is ram good enough
-what motherboard? (i think asus would be best)
2 GB results in a much faster system than 1 GB. For instance, Acrobat Pro loads in 2-3 seconds instead of 30.

The best Asus motherboard for C2D is the P5W DH Deluxe. It's scarce and pricey because there's a big backlog. Second best and nearly as good is the P5B Deluxe.

bolek
Friend of SPCR

Post by bolek » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:38 am

McBanjo wrote:Besides, just the ninja is discontinued so you'll have to go with Ninja plus and recive Scythe S-flex 1200rpm fan.
The fan that came with my Ninja Plus was not an S-Flex. It was the DF series (also 1200rpm). I bought it less than a month ago from jab-tech.

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:32 am

motherboard and fans have been done
now about the ram

i've been reading articles about how faster ddr2-800 ram is only 6% better than than dd2-400 ram

what kinda 2 gig ram should i get?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:42 am

unibomber51 wrote:i've been reading articles about how faster ddr2-800 ram is only 6% better than than dd2-400 ram

what kinda 2 gig ram should i get?
Depends whether you plan to overclock the CPU/FSB. If so, get two 1GB sticks of 800, preferably something that can do 4-4-4 or even 3-3-3 timing (there's about $100 difference between fastest and cheapest).

The reason is that you want to run the FSB and DRAM with 1:1 synchronous timing, and 800 memory gives you that headroom.

I'm running with 345 FSB and 690 DRAM at 3-3-3 which wouldn't be possible with budget memory.

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:54 am

i'll prob just experiment with it but don't think i'll leave it coverclocked
i just want it fast as is

would G.Skill Extreme F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Kit do fine for this?

it's quite inexpensive from anitec so i thought tish would do fine

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:01 pm

unibomber51 wrote:would G.Skill Extreme F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Kit do fine for this?
That memory is fine. It will run 4-4-4 at any reasonable clock speed.

For another $50 (based on Newegg prices) you can get the HZ version, which will do 3-3-3. Reduces latency almost 1%, but think of the bragging rights! :D

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm

cmthomson wrote:
unibomber51 wrote:would G.Skill Extreme F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Kit do fine for this?
That memory is fine. It will run 4-4-4 at any reasonable clock speed.

For another $50 (based on Newegg prices) you can get the HZ version, which will do 3-3-3. Reduces latency almost 1%, but think of the bragging rights! :D
HAHAHA... Almost 1%
Alright thanks :)

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:15 pm

bolek wrote:
McBanjo wrote:Besides, just the ninja is discontinued so you'll have to go with Ninja plus and recive Scythe S-flex 1200rpm fan.
The fan that came with my Ninja Plus was not an S-Flex. It was the DF series (also 1200rpm). I bought it less than a month ago from jab-tech.
Ah oki, my bad. I thought those fans where discontinued. Still a good fan I assume

wowimsocute

me too!

Post by wowimsocute » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:02 pm

i've been waiting for a new build too. it would be similar to yours. what mobo did you pick? i would love to hear how your build worked out and see pictures.

i want a c2d, p150, and a ninja (+fan?) also, and want to know if it would work well together.

could you share your experience with mounting the ninja, specifically how difficult it is? i wouldnt want to break expensive components.

(i'm planning on using passive gigabyte 7600gt for no noise.)

cmthomson

Re: me too!

Post by cmthomson » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:43 pm

wowimsocute wrote:could you share your experience with mounting the ninja, specifically how difficult it is? i wouldnt want to break expensive components.
I posted detailed Ninja mounting instructions in this thread.

wowimsocute

Re: me too!

Post by wowimsocute » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:24 pm

cmthomson wrote:
wowimsocute wrote:could you share your experience with mounting the ninja, specifically how difficult it is?
I posted detailed Ninja mounting instructions in this thread.
i read and i admit that it is a tad daunting. i remember 5? years ago, i thought the stock amd xp cooler was hard to put on. that was the first and last cooler i've installed, though the system is still running strong. hence my apprehension with the ninja.

the article mention a drop of AS5 2/3 the size of a small grain of rice. i don't have C2D to look at, but i assume it looks like:
Image a small drop will spread/squish across the whole surface?

cmthomson, if you reinstall your ninja again, do you think you could do a visual guide? it would be most appreciated. i understand if you don't have time.

thanks! and i would still love to hear about unibomber51's experiences if he's done.

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:49 pm

lol i am waiting for my experience too
my asus p5w dh deluxe board is back ordered at the comp store where i am ordering most of the parts.

I did go out and buy the scythe ninja though and i must say the thing is huge! 2x the size of my brother's aerocool gt-1000 and a lot bigger than my artic cooling copper lite

when installing the heatsink isn't it better to spread a nice thin layer of as5 on instead of using a dab in the middle? I've heard everyone complain about how hard the stuff is to spread and i have no problem with it. it's easier to spread than the mx-1 compound by arctic cooling and it's quite smooth.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:46 pm

wowimsocute
The first time you do it, mounting a Ninja is fairly difficult. However, it's a lot easier if you hold it down with one hand on top while attaching the clips with the other hand. And it's way easier to mount than an XP-120, which needs about three times as much force.

Yes, that little dab spreads an amazing amount. Here's a photo of a dab applied just prior to mounting the heat sink.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... talled.JPG

unibomber51
It is possible to pre-spread AS5 like you would other TIMs, but the blob method works best, since it prevents voids, and results in a very thin layer. With AS5, thinner is better as long as its not none.