Ribbon cable management

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnFL

Ribbon cable management

Post by JohnFL » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:50 pm

Okay guys, no flames please :( I am slowly modding my P180 and im down to wire and cable management. Im going to route all my power cables ( the ones with the molex connectors ). The part i need some help with is ribbon cable management. I remember a few weeks ago, i saw a thread here on SPCR, and in one of the replies, the person made a comment how he thought the guy should get rid of his round hard drive cables, and go back to the ribbon cables, and dress it properly.

Now the reason for the no flames comment.... I tried doing a search and no matter how i searched for "ribbon cables" "dressing ribbon cables", etc etc, the end result was like 3,000 hits on here. Of course the search routine probably was looking at just one word in my searches. So is there another way of doing a search? Or better yet, has anyone ever ran across a website that showed how to make bends or folds in your ribbon cables, so that it not only looks neat, but does not deflect or disturb that air flow?

Don't laugh guys.... took a lot of nerve to post this !! :oops:

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:02 pm

That's okay.

As for folding Ribbon Cables, I'd highly search up 'Cablegami'.

Some advice for you though.. Ribbon cables can tolerate extremely high pressure folds. Try to fold it like a piece of paper [except you'd need a bit more force]. The cables still work even if you fold them like that and will usually retain their shape.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:03 pm

I'd take a look at this thead, this guy did a nice job:

viewtopic.php?t=36271

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:57 pm

Maybe this link is useful too, although it's in Dutch. I hope the translation is complete.

Tidying up IDE cables

Page 1: Introduction
When tucking away IDE cables, make sure to use the walls and/or bottom of the case as often as possible. As flat as possible.
We are using a 90 cm IDE cable. Its surface is rough and it's flexible to fold, but will hold this form because of the roughness.
Older cables are too flexible and will not retain the form.
Using a longer cable offers more freedom for routing.
Pic 1: 90 ° angle. The red lines are folding lines.
Pic 2: Result: a 90 ° angle, however the IDE connector is now upside down. Next page shows a solution for this little problem.

Page 2: Turning upside down
Pic 1: As we showed before, it's possible you rather have the cable upside down. Using the right folding techniques this is possible.
We start with the printing facing up, and the connector facing up as well.
Pic 2: First make a 90 ° angle like described on page 1, then fold it back again, parallel to the rest of the cable.
Pic 3: Now fold both parts over eachother, the result is a straight cable with the connector turned upside down.
Maximum thickness of this cable: 4 times the thickness of a single cable, about 2 mm.

Page 3: Rounding
Pic 1: Depending of how the cable will be routed, it may happen there is no place for a wide IDE cable, and you rather wish you had a small round cable.
Pic 2: Fold the cable in a U-shape. The middle of the U will be the part that ends up rounded. This part can now be simply rolled up.
Pic 3: If needed, tape off both ends to prevent unrolling of the cable. You can fold back the ends of the cable to form a straight cable again.
Pic 4: Result.

Page 4: Connecting optical drives
Pic 1: Using long IDE cables has its downsides. The distance between the connectors is big. If you want to connect two optical drives, there are some possibilities to tuck the cable between the 2 drives.
Pic 2: First, you can just tuck away the cable on top of the upper drive, but it's not as neat. Neater is, to tuck it between the 2 drives.
Pic 3: Pre-fold the cables, mount the lower drive, put the cable in, and then slide the upper drive in its place. Then connect the cable to the upper drive.
Pic 4: The cable arrives from below. Next page shows how to arrive from top - handy for hard disk connecting.

Page 5: Connecting hard disks
Pic 1: There is still a better way to connect the optical drives and hard disks. We can do this by not routing the cable straight to the back of the hardware, but to route the cable underneath the hardware.
Pic 2: Depending of the case and specific routing wishes, this needs some creativity. Usually, hard disk bays are open in the front, easy to tuck away a cable in there. 5.25" bays are usually closed in front, maybe needs some extra modding, or routing the cable on the back to top.

Page 6: Making slimmer
Sometimes making the cable slimmer will make a certain route possible.
Pic 1: Fold the cable in a U-shape like before, but fold the legs back again after half a cable-length. The piece sticking out can be folded back and you end up with a cable half the width.
Pic 2: Result.

Page 7: Conclusion
There are no standard solutions, but these tips will make it possible to reach the best end result.

wpb

Post by wpb » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:28 pm

That is some serious cablegami :D

JohnFL

Post by JohnFL » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Hey guys, that was just a bunch of great replies. Now i know what cablegami means, and i am gonna do some serious reading. As was mentioned in some of those threads you pointed me to, cablegami is an art. I am definately giving my rounds cables away. THANKS again!

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:17 am

A hairdryer comes in handy - if you soften the sheathing it's easier to manipulate and folds retain their shape better when the cable cools.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with iron-sharp creases in IDE cables, although I've no actual proof they're harmful.

Ralf Hutter is/was the resident SPCR cablegami guru - you might like to check out some of his builds. :)

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:23 pm

nick705 wrote:Ralf Hutter is/was the resident SPCR cablegami guru - you might like to check out some of his builds. :)
Like this one for instance.

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks for all the info and to spookmineer for the translation. I have been trying to figure out a way to clean mine up for awhile.