Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX: Fan Control?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xenithon

Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX: Fan Control?

Post by xenithon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:39 am

Hi all. I have a quick question about the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX. I know that the newer VX version, unlike the original, come with a fan controller built onto the cooler. From what I have see, the control cable for the fan goes straight to that controller and only the speed sensing wires go to the motherboard (please correct me if I am wrong ;) ). Is there a way to bypass that and control it via the mobo? If the fan is changed then it is no problem, but using the stock fan, can you control it via a fan header rather than that control knob?

Cheers,
X

Forester

Post by Forester » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:50 am

IIRC the control knob is a potentiometer of several kilo-ohms. So the current through the potentiometer must be very small, it is a voltage divider that belongs to a control circuit located inside the fan. The current needed to run the fan is not fed through that potentiometer.

You should be able to control the fan by adjusting the output voltage of mobo fan header. No need to bypass anything. It might be a good idea to first turn the fan control knob to full speed to allow for wider range of adjustment by the mobo.

By the way, has anyone checked what kind of control circuit there is inside the fan?