silencing sun ultra 60

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dustman

silencing sun ultra 60

Post by dustman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:23 am

Hi forum,

I have oldish Sun Ultra 60 (sparc system from Sun, 2001-2003). It's not exactly loud but quite noisy. Scsi drives do not make it quieter. It's possible to feel rather strong vibration when putting palm on enclosure. Most likely noise comes from 3 fans and not drives (full load on hd doesn't make it much noisier).

After thinking a bit on how to silence it, I fancy idea of moving all innards into another tower, f.ex. Antec's. Since motherboard there is not your standard PC mb, I'd like to hear from ppl who tried silencing this beast before.

Regards,
dustman

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:29 am

I am 100% sure that vibrations are comming from your HD's. And they spin ALLWAYS at same speed so you can't make them vibrate "more" by making them work harder ;-) Only thing that is working harder when you put some stress on the drive is read/write heads and they are not the couse of vibrations to begin with.
Suspend those drives and vibs will go away I can promise you that. As it is now those vibrations are making your case "sing" along...thus amplifying the noise.
If that motherboard has same dimensions as "ordinaryones " then it will fit in any aftermarket case.
I can recomend Antec P182.

And welcome :-)

dustman

Post by dustman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:11 am

Heh, motherboard in this beast is not standard:
http://shopproducts.howstuffworks.com/S ... D-21289560

Before spending 200+$ on Antec P182, I'd really like to hear from a person who's done it before.
I thought of Antec coz' of their suspension for hd's. But accommodating non-traditional MB in normal PC case might be tricky.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:33 am

I dont think it would be a problem to fit that into a P182. Although some measurments would help for sure ;-)
You would probably have to accept that backplate would not fit but since its located on the back of the box, who cares :-) and how hard is to drill 5-6 screw holes (if the standard ATX don fit) into motherboar tray.
That's really it. Just put motherboard on the motherboardtray, mark where to drill(thru holes on motherboard) and drill away.
Now I do assume that the board itself is not much larger then standard ATX, again some measurments would be nice.

EDIT: Found much better picture HERE

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:44 am

I've done some minor work (quieter system fan and hard drive) on my Sun Ultra 5, which is even older than the Ultra 60 and is a desktop rather than a tower like yours. Personally, I'd open up the case first and see if there's some simple swapping out of parts that you can do, rather than mutilate the poor thing by trying to put its motherboard in a different case. Sitting on the floor, maybe it doesn't have to be extremely quiet, anyway. Plus, the style and cool purple paint job looks much better than the typical PC case!

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Id start by swapping out the case fans for quieter models.

then look into the standard case mods to remove fan grill and etc.

next you probably have a VERY noisy HSF. Do a little research and see what would work with the sockets they have.