System Upgrade

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

morgtom

System Upgrade

Post by morgtom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:29 am

Hi there folks, its been over a year since my last upgrade and so i feel i can indulge myself just a little. i am thinking of upgrading my CPU from a E6600 (stock clock) to a new Q6600 G0 stepping. I also want to update my fans and GPU to help improve my quiet computing needs. I do a bit of audio and other stuff that would benefit from the quad core so i should see quite a leap in performance. I upgraded my GPU not that long ago to a passive 8600GT and since then my computer's heat has increased to the point where i had to put my CPU at stock speeds and turn up the CPU fan, which i might add has been annoying me endlessly since.

Ok this is my current setup.

Current setup:
Antec Solo
Antec Smart power 450w PSU
E6600 (currently at stock speeds)
Asus P5b motherboard
2x 1gb 800 mhz A-data RAM
2x seagate 320Gb Sata HD
WD 500Gb Sata HD
Pioneer 212D Sata DVD
8600GT 256mb gainwood (passive)
M-audio Delta 44 Sound card
Zalmen 9500 AT CPU HSF
1x Nexus 120mm silent case fan 2x Nexus silent 92mm intake fans

What im thinking of buying:
Corsair HX-520 to replace my Smart power.
Threamalright ultra 120 extreme with Noctua p12 1300 RPM
ATi HD 3850
Zalmen fanmate Fan controller
And of course the Q6600

Will the Corsair PSU be more quiet than the smart power?
And is the 3850 quieter than the 3870? I'm only a mild gamer so the 3850 would be more than enough performance wise and i really would love just a single slot GPU. So if u have one, let us known what u think.

Also I am going to be overclocking somewhat and i believe the nexus fans just dont push/pull enough air... So i was considering swapping out the nexus and putting in a 1200 RPM Scythe slipstream 120mm. Do you think i will need to swap out the 2x 92mm nexus intake fans as well?

I will be purchasing the new parts around late jan next year, perhaps as late as mid Feb, hopefully by then the new 45nm CPUs will drive down the price of current quad core offerings.

So what do you guys think? Am i on the right track?
Is there anything i should consider? different parts? Different approach?
Any thoughts, suggestions, advice or opinions are most welcome :)

Thanks all for reading my first post!
Mo

Scoop

Post by Scoop » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:53 am

Well, looking good, though 520W PSU is a total overkill for that system, 450W is more than enough, I'd suggest S12II-430 or the M12II-430 should be out by then if it already isn't, or if you love Corsair, the VX450 will handle your system without breaking a sweat, as will your current PSU, but I'd say these are the most quiet.

I don't have hard data on whether 3850 is quieter than 3870 but I'd believe it is. At least it consumes less power. And I think the Nexus exhaust will do it's job just fine.