2-PCI low cost mini ITX?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

agarbino

2-PCI low cost mini ITX?

Post by agarbino » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:39 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to put together a small form factor linux box to stream 4 videos (from 2 Hauppauge PVR 500 cards). Since I need 2 PCI slots, the Intel/AMD/Jetway boards are out (I read that their 1 PCI slot is not expandable); if not, the D201GLY2 would have been adequate.

The VIA boards have 1 slot, but an active PCI riser card & riser cable will allow me to position both cards wherever. The problem is that they run $150-200.

Is there a sub $100 solution available? the PC2500E is bigger than a mini-itx, and I think too slow. The "Elite C7CVM" I'm not sure works with a pci riser card, and I don't know how fast it is.
I would also consider a slightly bigger form factor if there is something that would fit the requirements under $100 (CPU + mobo).
Firewire would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
Processing power should be as much as possible and will be limited by cost, but it definitely must be able to beat a dual CPU PIII 350MHz (shouldn't be hard).

Thanks,
Alex

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:00 pm

There is a generic 2 PCI riser like this one. I've used it on an AMD Shuttle motherboard and it worked fine (the only thing is I think if you only have one card it has to be in the top slot or something...).

The VIA 2 PCI riser is VIA specific, but the generic one should work on the Intel Mini-ITX board.