XP Stability Issues and SATA issues

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fëanor

XP Stability Issues and SATA issues

Post by Fëanor » Fri May 02, 2008 6:30 am

Hi Everyone,

Here are the specs of the machine:

Case = Antec P182
Fans = 3× Noctua NF-S12-1200 (1200 rpm but I don't remember if I put in the resistors to lower the rpm, too lazy to open the case to check)
Hard Drive = Hitachi Deskstar 7K160 HDS721616PLA380 (160GB)
Hard Drive Cushions = 2× TheraPro™ Cold Flexible Reusable Compress (6"×8")
Hard Drive Suspension Elastic = Stretch Magic
Hard Drive Enclosure = 222 × 146 × 55 mm neoprene-sealed die-cast aluminum box
Insulation = AcoustiPack Deluxe v2 Acoustic Insulation (1× 17mm thick and 2× 7mm thick sheets, 1× 3.5" and 2× 5.25" blocks)
Motherboard = Biostar TForce TP35D2-A7
Power Supply = FSP Zen 400W (Passive)
Processor = Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Processor Heatsink = Thermalright HR-01 775 with bolt-through mounting kit (Passive)
Processor Thermal Compound = Arctic Silver 5
Video Card = MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256EZ HD NVidia GeForce 8600GTS (Passive)
DVD Burner - Asus DRW-1814BLT (SATA)

Problem 1 - Lately I've been having some issues with stability in XP Pro SP2 and I was hoping for some help. I tend to leave my PC running 24/7 a lot of the time. Often when I come back to the PC, nothing will work. Any program I try to open will give me an error message saying "There is not enough quota to process this command." Problem is I have quota management disabled so I should have access to plenty of hard drive. A simple restart does the trick every time.

Problem 2 - The machine was hanging at startup while detecting IDE drives. The first couple times I just forced the BIOS to move on but eventually there was a day I needed to put in a CD and could not get the drive to respond. I'd push the button and the tray wouldn't open. I swapped to a different SATA port and that solved the issue for a while. But, the other day, the machine hung at startup again while detecting the IDE drives. Does this sound like an issue with the motherboard SATA header or with the DVD drive?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help you can offer!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Both sound more or less indicative of a flaky motherboard. I have one that misbehaves from time to time -- simply hangs during boot or reboot but once in Windows, works fine.