LC17 Rackmounted?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

compnerd

LC17 Rackmounted?

Post by compnerd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi All,

I'm working on a windows home server rebuild (I currently have it running in an old Antec NSK2400 case) and I want to rackmount it. I actually plan to rackmount 2 servers: 1 to feed a sonos system which I'm in the process of purchasing and 1 feed a sagetv system which I already have in place. I know I can do both with one server and without rackmounting but I'm just a huge computer nerd and the thought of having a rackmount system in my house seems very cool - no other reason :D

So my questions are:

1. Since I don't NEED a proper rack mount server case (will be running at most 4 hard drives per case with no graphics cards) would a Silverstone LC17 do the trick? It'll be in a closet (venitlated of course) so noise is not too big an issue but I will still be doing the usual 12cm fan PSU, Nexus case fans, fan undervolting thing.

2. Has anyone actually rackmounted an LC17 (or seen one rackmounted)? Everywhere I look I see people saying it can be done but I've never seen any pics.

3. I don't have any experience with actually putting a case in a rack (although I've spent plenty of time in the server room at the bank I work for) so I'm wondering do you really just screm the rack mount handles to the front rails of the rack and it all hangs off that? (assuming I don't put rails in) or does it get secured some other way too?

Thanks very much.

Compnerd

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:55 pm

Light equipment is simply fixed to the front posts of the rack (or often just the posts, look up two post racks some time), things like switches and routers. Heavier stuff like servers requires rails fixed to the front and back posts, you slide the machine along them and secure it to them with screws.

The Silverstone rack kit (which fits LC17s) consists purely of a pair of steel brackets with aluminium handles attached, simply bolted to the front posts.

Personally I'd be wary of using them, I'm not sure what your system weighs, but it'll be held on by four screws at the front only.
http://www.dreamwarecomputers.com/image ... ra01_4.JPG

compnerd

Post by compnerd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Yeah 4 screws doesn't seem like enough. I'm assuming I can get a standard rail kit and attach it to the case, then the handles for LC17 will simply be used to hold the server in place (ie not slide) but the rails will do the heavy lifting so to speak.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:17 pm

There's no such thing as a standard rail kit, they're specific to designs. The LC17 has the handles, and that's it.

You could get a shelf, but then you might as well not use a rack. They're extremely expensive, I have an actual server, and it would cost more than the server (a not particularly cheap Itanium machine) to get a small rack and rails.