System rebuild and some "nub" questions.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The Internal

System rebuild and some "nub" questions.

Post by The Internal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:46 am

Hey guys and gals.

I'm gutting and rebuilding my currently very quiet system (replacing the motherboard) and would greatly appreciate suggestions for my fan configuration (as well as possible input on RAM). My baby is named "Monolith" ^.^

System usage:

My everything box. TV, ghetto router, gaming rig, graphic design system, internet surfing, etc.

Main components I'm planning on putting in for the rebuild:

Case: Antec P180b
Processor: Athlon x2 4400+ With Scythe Ninja heatsink (no fan attached)
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe (I want to avoid using the tiny "optional" fan)
RAM: 4 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix (hoping to replace with 2 x 1 GB)
Video cards: 2 x XFX 7950 GT Extreme (passively cooled)
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
TV-Tuner: Hauppauge WinPVR - 500
PSU: Corsair HX620W
other: 2 optical drives, 2 SATA HD drives (in lower compartment), currently have one surviving 120 MM stock case fan that works okay (has a speed control switch. yummy. located at rear by CPU) and the scythe CPU fan mounted by the graphics cards.

My main concerns:

I'm thinking of getting at least 2 x Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan (the one that "won" the latest SPCR fan review), but am concerned about how I will undervolt them to be nice and quiet (or will I need to undervolt them?)
Will Speedfan adequately undervolt them with my A8N32? The A8N32's BIOS fan options are limited to "auto, on, off" from what I've read (is that still accurate?)
The A8N32 has a total of five 3 pin fan connectors (including the CPU fan). I'd love to have manual speed toggles on the fans like my stock Antec fan did, but if I have to sacrifice too much airflow/volume, I'd rather find an alternative (such as speedfan).

I'd like to have a minimum of three 120 MM fans blowing to keep my stock clocked system running in manufacturer's thermal tolerances. I seem to be running stable (though a bit on the warm side) with a mere 2 x 120 mm, but would prefer to be slightly overkill on airflow rather than under.

Additionally, anyone know of good high speed RAM for gaming that will play nice with my ASUS mobo, both in a 2 x 1 GB configuration or a 4 x 1 GB configuration?

Thanks for the input!
-Kevin D.