Can this choice of componets run in a positive airflow setup

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Can this choice of componets run in a positive airflow setup

Post by IKIKUINTHENUTZ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:29 pm

I was wondering if it's a good idea to run a fully passive system (including psu) in a positive airflow pressured case w/ one 92mm intake around the hard drives and one 80mm intake blowing top down to cpu area, with 0 outtake fans in this case?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811128022

However my worry is that all the components make considerable amount of heat (of course nothing is overclocked for quite sakes).
E8200 w/HR-01 3U
Intel P965 w/HR-05 on chipset
2gb of ram
HD 4850 w/hr-03 rev.A or Auras fridge
Silverstone Nightjar 450w
2 hard drives.
Will such items all on heatsinks with no fans be safe in this case when there are only 2 intakes? or should I reconsider and get a different psu with a fan and place a 92mm outtake fan on back due to high heat components?

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:09 am

It's not a good idea. Your PSU will be fed hot air from the case and will likely overheat, I think. A fanned PSU will spin up the fan if it needs to, which is better if you're feeding it hot air.

Edit: your other idea sounds fine. The noise level won't be a problem.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:17 am

you should take advantage of having that exhaust fan, especially in a HTPC setup, as heat builds up around the computer from the other components as well.

aside from that, you shouldn't have any problems with that setup. the only thing i might change for something like that is trying to duct the power supply, but in that case, i don't think you can.

the heat will most likely come from the graphics card more than anything else, so running the heatsink with a fan would be the best way around that.

as for everything else, passive is fine, but still, and exhaust fan will be wanted.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Post by IKIKUINTHENUTZ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:51 am

thanks all, I'll do the safe approach for this setup.
(fanned psu & 92mm exhaust)